Saturday, July 31, 2021

Sid's Trucks

      My grandson, Sidney, just turned three. He just got a new twin bed as he will have a sister in November who needs the crib. I bought him some Monster Truck sheets for his birthday in June. He loved them. Of course, he needs a quilt for his new bed. My daughter likes to have things done real fast, so I had to come up with an idea that would not take long. He wanted trucks. Applique would have taken me forever and I could not find a truck pattern.
     I found a pattern online called "Flight Quilt" that I thought would be quick and I could incorporate trucks. It was too small, so I got out the graph paper, ordered some truck fabrics (hard to find), pawed through my scrap stash, ordered some Grunge. I bought a dump truck panel for the backing.
    I worked with all the pieces on the design wall. Rechecked math, good thing, made mistakes.

Started with grunge side pieces

Arranged truck fussy cut fabric

Sewed borders around truck fabrics

Sewed it all together

Added pieces from stash to build backing. I knew saving that gradient piece would come in handy someday. Had to piece the brown, but I think it adds to the construction feeling. 

     On a somber note, my family was supposed to leave early this morning for our annual vacation in the Adirondacks where we rent a house. Yesterday, we found out from the owner about a house explosion across the street. When she got there today, there is structural damage and we cannot stay there. We are all packed with nowhere to go. Frantically calling any leads for accomodations. Watch the video. 24 hrs. later we would have been on the deck overlooking the lake, chilling out. Good thing we were not there 24 hrs. earlier.

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Explosion-destroys-Old-Forge-home-damages-two-others-574975601.html






 


15 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a nice pattern for the truck blocks.

Wow, what a mess that area is from the explosion. I'm glad you weren't there.

Deanna said...

So glad you are safe. And that is a great version of "Flight".

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Wanda - that is a nice pattern and would work with a number of things. Watching the video was like watching a report on the destruction caused by a hurricane - I'm so glad you and your family were nowhere near the area at the time. What a difference 24 hours makes!! I'm also glad no one was seriously hurt - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wow - very glad you were not there yet. Hope you can find an alternate spot to vacation …

abelian said...

Just in the last couple of days, Susan at Quilt Fabrication published a cute quilt pattern with pieced monster trucks. She’s selling the individual truck patterns in her Etsy shop.

Glad you weren’t at that house yet; hope you can find another place. Dot

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow! Glad you weren't there. I've heard of at least 2 other house explosions in the past week. Weird. The quilt is cute. Stay safe. Hope you can find somewhere to go.

Joyce Carter said...

Oh Wow! That was really horrible! I am so glad you weren't there. I hope you find someplace else to go that is safe.

Your grandson will love his quilt. It looks great.

Gene Black said...

I am sure Sid will love his "Truck Quilt."

I am sorry that your vacation spot is damaged. But I am really glad that you had not gotten there yet.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, wow, Linda!! Timing is everything, isn't it? So glad you are safe, even if your vacation may have to be rescheduled.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really love that truck quilt!! He is going to be so happy with it!
and WOW!!! I am so glad you are n your family weren't there yet - good luck finding another spot!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Goodness Linda what a tremendous quilt you've made for your very lucky little grandson! He's going to love it. The backing is a work of art in itself. Sorry to hear of your annual Adirondacks vacation not being possible but I hope you will have had a response for accomodation leads.

Gwen said...

Wow,so sorry to hear about the explosion. Glad you weren't there and
no one was seriously injured!
The truck quilt looks great! Love the Euclid on the back.
My older son loved trucks as a toddler and boy. My father owned a Salvage and Trucking business so he was in the right place. ;)

Kathy S. said...

Perfect quilt for your truck-loving grandson! Congrats on the new baby on the way. Your family is growing again. Joy!

Kathy S. said...

Praise God that he always goes before us fighting unknown battles. Hope you find a place to stay, but so so thankful that you were not there.

Preeti said...

Such a fun quilt with such simplicity. I am sure Sidney loves it. Bet you are busy making the quilt for his little sister :-)