Tuesday, July 13, 2021

After the rain and sulking

      The outdoor Riverwork art show that I exhibited my watercolors on Sunday was a soggy, disappointing time. I got half the artwork hung up and it started to rain. I plastic dropclothed everything and did not put out all the artwork. I had to mix our work to get it all covered. I wanted to go home, but I had committed to the show. It kept raining. My son was sick and I sent him home. The show is located on a popular bike/walk path along the Niagara River where the Erie Canal flows in and is normally very busy. But not Sunday.
     After the awards were given out at 2:15, it rained even harder and my husband helped me take things down and kept me from just pitching everything in the van. I came home, put on dry clothes, laid on the couch with an afghan over my head and slept for over an hour. Later, I dried all the plastic sleeves on the paintings and let everything air out and get dry. Not sure I will ever do another outdoor show.




     My son did win an award. Don't know how much the cash prize was, he is a man of few words.

     I pulled out some pinned Upstairs blocks and sewed some more, just one set to sew before it can be laid out. I am just sinking my teeth into quilting and forgetting about the weekend.



9 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your watercolors are absolutely gorgeous. What a shame about the rain . . .

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Outdoor shows are so difficult, either too hot, rainy, or even too cold. Your work is fragile too for wet weather. It certainly is discouraging after planning for it and doing all of the setup. I have been there, did shows for years but mostly inside.

Sewing is the best therapy so I'm happy to hear you had a project ready to work on.

Joyce Carter said...

I am so sorry that the show was such a disappointment. It is really hard to plan for something outdoors. You never know how things are going to work out.
Your pictures looked wonderful. Congratulations to your son for winning a prize.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a bummer! Your watercolors are beautiful - and deserved a bright day full of sunshine! CONGRATULATIONS to your son for winning an award - at least the day wasn't a total bust! I'm glad you had a quilting project to play with after that soggy day. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt top - ;))

Gene Black said...

As I have gotten older, I have decided that outdoor shows are just too much work and too "iffy."
The quilt blocks look good. I like the intense colors.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh how disappointing - but wow!! your art work... what an amazing collection!

Mystic Quilter said...

Sorry to hear of the soggy exhibition, always risky. Our local Art Group have had the very same problem with a mad dash to try and have everything under cover, not always very successfully sadly.

O'Quilts said...

Sad and sorry....Your work is so lovely. I am a proud owner of two of your cards and grateful!!That rain, just coming at the very wrong time xo

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry you got rained out. I do displays and demo's for the local historical society, but I insist on being indoors (they have booths inside and outside). I was the first booth in their inside building (it had just been finished that year). Now that building is packed every year (and you know why).