Finally done, the Bow Tie Top from a block swap. All quilted, 55" x 62", bound and ready for a home. Glide Celery thread, top and bottom.
I am picky about doing mysteries and somehow I am sewing two at once. Not sure how that happened. I finished the guild mystery top which was a facebook mystery years ago. Now I have to find/make a backing and get it quilted, oh boy.
I used hand dyed fabric (not dyed by me) and dark blue assorted batiks and assorted neutrals. Not a hard quilt- the components are easy to assemble.
|Audition wide dark borders|
|Auditon color border with thin dark blue|
Alycia's A12 mystery is being assembled and here are 20 blocks laid out on cardboard trays, ready to sew.
It is no secret I am nuts about tulips. Although I have a small yard, I plug as many as I can in. We have to build small cages for them or the squirrels will eat them all up. Not a squirrel fan.
I am a bit worried because tomorrow we are supposed to have an accumulation of wet slushy snow, oh no, my tulips!
After a surprise late snow, it warmed like crazy and the daffodils burst forth. Their sunny faces are immensely cheering after dark days and times.
I like a variety of daffodils, like scrappy fabrics in quilts, so that is what I plant. I have a small yard, but the flowers do their job well.
My quilt guild is currently working on the last clue of our mystery. I like to do mystery quilts occaisonally because it provides another quilt I can give without doing a lot of planning or thinking. I like to support our guild, especially when we are still meeting remote.
I am working on another mystery with Alycia because it assures me I will make a RWB veteran quilt and I don't have to plan it out.
I laid out the blocks for the guild quilt and saw it was a square. I am not fond of square quilts, especially for a comfort quilt. After some mental back and forth battle, I decided to add another row and had to figure out how to do the blocks without going through the mystery clues.
I used graph paper for the 2 alternate blocks and wrote dwon what pieces I needed to cut. I always make some extra blocks when doing a mystery quilt, but there were not enough for 3 star and 2 lattice blocks. It took me longer than I wanted to figure out and cut out because I still have a vaccination brain and am not the sharpest crayon in the box.
|The square layout, blocks finish at 12"|
|Layout with the extra row. I like the size much better. |
|Working on the extra blocks for the last row.|
First, wishing everyone a Happy Easter! I am in the middle of making an early dinner, so I wrote this yesterday!
No, I am not referring to my condition after the second shot, which has been hard and fatiguing for over 4 weeks, but to another Upstairs/Downstairs quilt. This one is from two batik jelly rolls. First set of 6 blocks is sewn, 7 more down to go.
|Two identical rolls|
|Sorted 8 sets|
|Strip sets sewn, 2 sets of same strips|
|The 8 sets of strip sets, 2 each of each strip set, ready to be cut into 2 1/2" strips|
|8 sets of block strips, 2 1/2" wide|
|The first 6 blocks of set 1 out of 8 sets, 7 more sets to go. |
A number of years ago, I participated in a block swap with Barb. It was a bowtie block and we had to use grays and a bright fabric. I was happy with what I received and made it into a top. Which sat. And sat.
In my resolution to make backs for all my tops, I made one for this and because it is a bit smaller than I usually make, I put it on the longarm this week. Although smaller (53" x 63"), it took a long time to quilt. The bowties were quilted with three diagonal lines (used a ruler, but I stink with rulers- they are always slipping on the ends) and the gray has small semi-spiral lines. The thin gray border had sawtooth triangles. The piano key border had square spirals that covered two keys at a time. I used Glide celery top and bottom. I think that this design flattened out the piano keys to be more subtle. The diagonal lines on the bow ties emphasized the changing directions, and the small scrolly lines lent a softness. I do not think an overall design would have achieved the result I was after. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
I have to put a binding on it and can't decide what fabric. When I get the binding on, I will photograph it so you can also see the back.
|Blocks as received|
|Quilted, needs binding|