Friday, July 2, 2021

Sapphire Stars Shines

      Late last week, I received a request for a comfort quilt for a man who is 6'6" who has been diagnosed with massive lung cancer. He had served in the military, now in government planning. I knew I had Sapphire Stars hanging in the tops closet. It was a Mystery Quilt by Kevin the Quilter. It was plenty long enough, but it would not be quick to quilt.
     I used Military Gold Glide on the top, Glide 60 same color in the bobbin and a wide back fabric. I studied the quilt to find what it needed where and used chalk to mark it out. I cannot find refills for my red chalk holder, anyone know where I can get them? I use one holder for white, and one for colored as I need both colors when marking a quilt.
     I had a few issues with tension, but mostly good. I had some issues with the backing pleating along the edges. Never had that happen before- it was rolled tightly on the rollers. I could not stop and tear it out. I used a blue and white stripe for the binding, love it. I quickly washed and dried it, and put it on the design wall to photograph as it had to leave right away to be delivered. I did not notice the desk corner interferring with the lower right corner. I cannot photo it again as it is gone home.
     Because it was 94" long, it did not fit well in the tote I deliver it in, but it was carryable. An orphan block was used for the pocket to hold the book, card, CD, and pocket quilts. My husband said the man was stunned by the quilt. I think it came out well although I did not get to enjoy it done for more than a couple of hours.







13 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Stunning quilt -amazing quilting.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW! That is a wonderful quilt - you did an awesome job on the quilting - ;))

Mystic Quilter said...

You've done such a superb job with your quilting!! Beautiful quilt and tote, no wonder he was stunned when he received the quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Real photos for real people. Fabulous quilt finish, Linda! It is sure to bring comfort to it's recipient. You did a beautiful job with Kevin's Mystery Quilt!

Gene Black said...

Wow, I am sure the man was stunned and happy to get such a lovely quilt.

sue s said...

I think you did a beautiful job on this! And what a lovely design! Good you had it "in your closet" for just this purpose.

Cathy said...

That is beautiful. What a nice surprise.
My brother-in-law (sister's husband), also a veteran, was also just diagnosed with massive lung cancer.

Bonnie said...

You did a wonderful job on the quilt and the quilting. How irksome when the tension goes off... probably only when you sew in one direction? Although I don't know what chalk you use you might want to check on line at Nancy's Notions. Years ago the store carried all sorts of fabrics, patterns, notions and more. Alternate thought is to do a Google search on the specific chalk you are looking for. Good luck.

O'Quilts said...

AMen to what everyone else said..This is a brilliant quilt with quite impressive quilting...Way to go Linda!!!! xo

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is wonderful that you had the perfect top just waiting to be finished. The fabrics and design are cheerful so I hope it gives him great comfort and maybe a smile.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out amazing - I bet he was just stunned - not only at the beauty but at the care!! so wonderful!

Vicki W said...

What a beautiful quilt! What a kind heart you have.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It turned out great. I really need to finish the 3 of Kevin's quilts that I started. (I even know where they are, too). Just no time.