Thursday, June 24, 2021

You start with a bunch of blocks...

      Almost all quilts start with blocks. Sometimes I get a bunch of blocks as a donation. In a package of donated fabric, I found two sizes of 30s fabric blocks, 6" and 8". In there were also the churndashes that I made into a quilt that the person who donated wanted back. There were some fabric squares left, so I made more 6" blocks for a total of 30. I am not a huge 30s fan, but I tried to figure out somehow a way to show them off, but add a light touch. I did not realize that the blocks, made from 2 1/2" fabric, had been trimmed to 6" before I made the rest of the 10 blocks, so I ended up trimming the blocks I made to match when I went to assemble the quilt. Yikes.
     I used a cream with a white print for the interior blocks, a white on white for the setting triangles,  a light yellow print for the border, and a wonderful print periwinkle for the outer border. Setting the blocks on point I think gave it more excitment although more work. It is 54" x 63" now. I think it will work for a child comfort quilt.
    Now I have those 8" blocks to contend with, hmm.


The large block pile, the small was similar

Adding borders

Completed pieced top

10 comments:

Joyce Carter said...

I really love this quilt Linda. It is sooo pretty. The 30's fabrics are my favorite.

Deanna said...

I love what you have done with these. Great solution!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think you used the perfect border fabrics. It doesn't scream 30s repro to me but just soft colors.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with everyone else - I like how you finished it off - the colors are soft and pretty - ;))

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh you did these prints proud!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This one is great -- well done, Linda!

O'Quilts said...

Great job!!!!! I love it. xo

Mystic Quilter said...

It's a winner Linda!! I love it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That quilt top turned out beautifully, Linda!! It reminds me of friends from my very first quilt bee SEW long ago. Two of them were head over heels in love with 30's fabrics. At the time, I couldn't believe it when one of them bought an entire bolt of a favorite print!!! Thanks for sending me on a little trip down memory lane. :o))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good way to use those blocks.