Thursday, July 15, 2021

Bargello time

      I received a gift of 4- 20 strip jelly rolls that were blues of graduated values. Back in the recesses of my mind and hard drive, I remembered a pattern for a blue bargello. It has been almost a decade since I made the Heart Bargello for my bed (my one and only bed quilt for me). That was when I was a newbie and it was extremely difficult. I had no clue what I was doing. I finished and gave away the book.

   Fortunately, this time I have some sewing experience and a lot of hints and help from A Left Handed Quilter. After sorting and following the printed pattern carefully, I sewed all the strips in pairs in one direction and then the pairs to the pairs in the other direction. I used numbers on blue tape on evey strip so it would not get out of order due to various causes including Tugger the cat. There is another whole section of strips to sew for part 2. All those strips are sorted and blue tape labeled.
     After sewing the massive tube, I marked all the lines on the back for cutting as each strip is a different width. I cut the strips with my Quilter's Select ruler that does not slip and most of my lines were ok, I corrected as I went along checking the pattern chart and numbers. All the strips, all 19 were hung on the longarm that needs to be loaded up.
     Carefully, I opened each strip, laid out the pattern and then pinned all the strips on the top on a foam board that I will take with me to the sewing machine when I am ready. 

All numbered to be sewn in strip set for tube 
Strip set before tube
Tube cut into strips


Now for another whole strip set




7 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is going to be so pretty!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Stunning! Good idea to pin them to the foam board - it would be way too easy to get them mixed up.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! That is SO pretty!! - ;))

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Beautiful colors! It will be a beautiful quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lucky you receiving the gift of Jelly Rolls. I love your arrangement of the strips and wow it's going to look fantastic Linda. I love my portable design wall, easy as to pin and follow the design.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be gorgeous, Linda!!

Gene Black said...

I love the blues. What a great gift for a quilter. This is going to be so calming and peaceful to look at.