Sunday, May 25, 2014

I'm a guest blogger today!

    Whether you visit at times or are a new visitor, thank you. Today I am a guest blogger at Confessions of a fabric addict giving a tutorial on the Exploding Squares quilt. Thank you, Sarah! This is in promotion for the Hands 2 Help drive for quilts for some designated charities. I really think you can easily make one of these quilt with what you have around and quickly to give away.  Since I wrote this tutorial, Missouri Star Quilt company has posted a video starting with precuts. I use scraps and fabric people give to me and fabric finds at sales.
  My newest exploding square, which starts with 6" blocks, doesn't have the borders on yet, but here is an idea. I will wait and see if that leaf fabric is what I want. I have two that start with 4" blocks going, but not enough to photo yet.
 
Will be lap size when borders are one

     I cut up the scraps given generously to me according to the system Bonnie Hunter uses. I don't cut anything smaller than 2". I cut 6.5", 5", 4", 3.5", 2.5", and 2" squares. I cut 2.5 x 3.5" rectangles. I save random strips also. I put these in plastic bins by size and dark or lights.
Some fabric just received from a friend I already cut up and sorted
I also received this Charley Harper print as a gift, but will not cut this up.
I love Charley Harper. I wish I had all his birds!
    My next post will be my new sewing table all put together in the studio. It is done and being used. Now go make something! 
    Thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

tink's mom said...

Just came from Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Your tutorial was great. Thanks so much.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thank you so much for commenting and visiting!