Friday, September 6, 2024

Another out the door!

     I received a quilt referral from a woman at church who has a niece undergoing treatment for aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant who is 22. Yikes. She is very scared and having a hard time with treatments. They basically kill everything off inside you, then add the bone marrow. Has to be a horrifying experience. I sent some photos of what I had, and the woman picked one. I washed and made the bag and kit up for her and she delivered it. I understand the young woman is pretty ill and no progress yet.
    This was the quilt and package.


    This was the quilt package. I actually had an extra block from the quilt to make the pocket on the bag. I sewed it on the premade tote bag with the classic Bernina 830 Record in the background as it is my only machine with a freearm.
    Originally, I made the quilt inspired by one I saw in a show. It did not turn out how I was thinking, but it is pretty. I was going for a floating effect. I have a hard time using black fabric. I used different black prints here, but it is still too harsh and did not give the floating floral effect I wanted.
Quilting detail


5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This is a very pretty quilt and will give some good comfort. Many people have great success with the bone marrow transplant so I hope she does well too.

Mystic Quilter said...

It may not have given you the effect you were hoping for Linda but it really is very pretty, can't beat lots of florals in small pieces to add sparkle, the black really shows them off.
A dear friend of mine underwent a bone marrow transplant almost 30 years ago, early days back then. Hope the young woman progresses soon.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a beautiful quilt - i can see why she chose it. Prayers for her recovery

Vicki W said...

Oh, that's horrible what she is going through! I think she will love the quilt and the hopes and prayers that are being delivered with it.

Cathy said...

Oh, I sure hope the bone marrow transplant helps her. My son-in-law has acute myeloid leukemia and had bone marrow transplant. I guess it was successful but he got a little crazy on the meds they gave him afterwards. Good for you for offering comfort. I'm sending prayers for her.