Sunday, February 20, 2022

Small 30s quilt off longarm

      Yesterday, I finished a smallish comfort quilt that I put together from some small squares of 30s fabric someone donated to me. There was not enough squares for a big quilt, so I set the blocks on point with cream squares between them and white triangle for the row endings. I had this great periwinkle print I had bought to use as a border in my stash. I wanted it longer since it will be a comfort quilt, so I added the cream with tiny flowers, which are exactly the same color as the border. Here is the original post where the quilt is just pieced. I thought about each area and the quilt told me what it wanted. I love the quilting even though it is not perfect. When it is bound, I will show the back.
      I took the quilt off the longarm, trimmed it, laid it on the family room floor and went to get my camera in the next room. In the few seconds I was gone, Tugger woke up and went and plopped himself on the quilt. He has a sixth sense for knowing when a new quilt is done. He only chooses the new ones to lay on.

     I have a normal looking Cape Cod style house, but we added an addition opening up one back bedroom into a kitchen and out to a dining area and family room. At the end of the family room, we had regular Anderson windows screwed together to make this window wall with the cathedral ceiling. It just snowed yesterday after mostly melting, so the windows are a picture frame to the outdoors. The floor where I took the quilt photo is in front of the windows. I took the photo from the bedroom upstairs looking down (have a glass door that opens to see the family room- has a railing across, don't worry). I love stained glass, but don't do it. My husband made the lowest one in a workshop. Christmas cactus and amaryllis at bottom.



7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW! Your quilting is beautiful - and your window is awesome!! - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

I could sit and look out those windows all day (happy sigh). I, too, love stained glass but have never actually made any. (also love blown glass as in kugels). Really like the 30s quilt and how you made those leftovers into a wonderful comfort quilt.

Joyce Carter said...

The quilt is beautiful, Linda, and that window---WOW! The view is gorgeous! I wouldn't be able to get anything done for looking out of it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Beautiful windows and great view of the backyard. Your Christmas cactus looks huge.

Pat McDonald said...

Great Quilt. Love 30's fabrics.

Gene Black said...

The quilt came out wonderfully. I love the windows with the additions of the stained glass in them.

I have made "faux stained glass" in the past. I use a painting technique that I developed and use plexiglass as the base.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The quilt is beautiful!! Tugger just wants to add a little bit of love to the quilt ;-)