Thursday, February 17, 2022

Old and new bursts

      One of the most used items in my studio is my iron. In my sewing studio, I have a Panasonic cordless iron that has served faithfully over years. It has a stainless steel plate. I never put water in it. In the longarm room, the other iron is a EuroPro steam iron that has a boiler inside and I used it for backings, big wrinkles, and to block pieces to trim.

     You can imagine my shock and surprise when I lifted the iron off the charging station to press and this broken burst happened suddenly.
     I tried using my husband's iron (he irons his shirts, I only iron fabric), but it was so large and clunky that I had to bite the bullet and buy another one. The new one has a ceramic plate and is a showy red. Despite the box showing up trashed at my door, the iron is working great except I think they made the automatic shut off even shorter.
     On a beautiful bursting note, I bought a bunch of amaryllis bulbs as presents for Christmas. Uncharacteristically, I kept one box. I had never grown one before  as they always seemed kind of chunky to me. I have a ton of plants in the house- especially Christmas cactus . I know Wanda adores amaryllis, so I gave it a try.
The first single bloom

All blooms opening




8 comments:

O'Quilts said...

nice...all very nice...i have panasonic cordless too...love love and more love

Joyce Carter said...

Love the flowers. They are sooo beautiful!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love the RED - and your amaryllis!
The automatic shut-off is a deal breaker for me - I don't buy them anymore. It never failed - I would sew for a while - go to press something and the iron would have shut itself OFF. I expect my iron to be ON when I need/want it - and I'm a big girl - I can turn it OFF when I'm done - LOL - ;))

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope you are enjoying your Amaryllis. It's a really pretty color.

Donnie said...

My, much loved Maytag cordless iron died last year after 15 years and I discovered they don’t make them anymore. I’ve been using my old, back up Black and Decker Classic while I decide what to get. You are the first person I’ve heard even mention the Panasonic. I think I will order one on your recommendation. I never put water in my iron either and if you ask most people about their favorite iron all they talk about is steam! Thanks.

Gene Black said...

I hope the new iron serves you well. I have three different irons but only use one of them regularly - and it is a steam iron. I use it for fabric/blocks and for clothing. The oldest I use when I set up an ironing station by my sewing machine. (i.e. when I need to press many seams between sewing.) The other is stored away because I didn't love it, although it is the most expensive of the three.

Dre in PA said...

One way to get rid of the auto-shut off is to scour the thrift stores.
Plenty of old, unloved irons there that usually can be had for pennies.
Give them a good clean with vinegar inside and brillo outside.
I hate the non-stick sole plates of today. Not a one holds up to pins.
Beautiful blooms!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The amaryllis in your photos is the same coloration as the one we had from White Flower Farms this year! (Lynne is also a lover of amaryllis - she grows lots of them each year - spectacular blooms). About the iron - I tried a Panasonic cordless and it never got hot enough (I am one who uses steam). I'm back to my corded iron - I buy a lower price point iron and replace as conditions warrant. Due to heat build up in the studio, I do not leave my iron ON all the time so the auto shut off is not an issue for me. I know for many it is. Glad there are lots of different irons to suit the many different preferences/needs.