Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Shards, scraps and sourcing

     Part 2 of the creative shard idea birthing. The stained glass mosaics need grouting. Never did that. I read that sanded grout was the way to go. Trips to Home Depot and then Lowe's where I found a 25 lb bag of sanded black grout. Pretty heavy and it was on a high shelf.
     I read directions in a tutorial on stained glass mosaics that said to use a small cup and add the grout and spray water from a spray bottle at the same time until it was mixed but like peanut butter with a spoon. Right. Mess but mixed. Using gloves, the grout was applied to the glass in a clockwise and counterclockwise motion, sat for 10 minutes, then wiped clean with dry paper towels. Right. More mess. I think everything I do, I make messes. You should see my thread and fabric shrapnel.
     These are the first 3 butterflies before and after grouting.

Glued on shards before Grout



After Grout
     Ok, the big idea will work, however, I need to find out how to hang these (what hook on frame and for window, what glue), where to get more framed glass, how to seal the glass in the frame, how to mail- box sizes-, print out Stained Glass lyrics, write a letter to enclose, etc. So now, I have a bigger list to source and solve than just making the mosaic. The rabbit hole grows deeper. To be continued.

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Haha - those dang rabbit holes!! But those butterflies are GORGEOUS!! I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the saga - ;))

Gene Black said...

The butterfly was lovely already, but adding the grout really makes them shine.
Good luck with finding those supplies! I am sure they will be found, but it may be a challenge.

Anonymous said...

So dramatic with the black grout - this is fun and illuminating to watch even if less fun to clean up. I guess in good weather the grouting stage could be outside!

ceci

Kathy S. said...

Oh my these are beautiful!!! The messy grout was so worth it. Sometimes the bigger the mess the more beautiful the project (or life lesson). You, Linda, are the true definition of artist!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The grou turns gorgeous into stunning. These are amazing. Kudos to you!

O'Quilts said...

The artist is multimedium and multitalented xoxo

Vicki W said...

These turned out fantastic! I might have to try this technique myself.