Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Words and Pictures

      I don't have trouble with pictures- making them, taking them, changing them- it is a process that I participate in with some competence and relish. It is words that are hard to write and polish to communicate well. I have been taking, editing and filing photos of work methodically and in a timely fashion. Words stick in my brain unwilling to be birthed into posts. Part of it is the stress of the times- I am tired of the fear mongering of something that is wedging friendships and families into never ending isolation.
     Last year, on Zoom, the people in my guild decided we shouldn't pay dues as expenses were minimal. For some, it is their only level of commitment in the year. If you don't have anything of yourself invested in something, it becomes stale and trivial.
     I came up with the idea of "dues quilts", submitting the minimum of one quilt that was given away in lieu of paying dues. It was a bit of a fight, but the guild agreed. I committed to receiving the photos via email, front and back, of the quilts. I made a spreadsheet of who submitted it, pieced it, and quilted it. I gave an entry for each of those categories. At year's end, I put a person's entries into a container to be pulled for prizes. Some people had multiple quilt entries, some had just piecing entries, etc. I made a slide show of all the quilts with the names. It took a while to edit, crop, and create the slide show (Google Slides). I saved the slide show in a pdf landscape format that I could show at our 1st guild meeting this year (in person) as there is no wifi at our meeting location. Monday night, I set up the presentation early dragging my laptop, cords, projector, 7 prize bags (quilting notions from a Joann's sale), quilts, and lists.
    Mostly, it went well, but it only takes one virulent complainer to evaporate the atmosphere.
   I quilted 2 of the quilts- one from an 81 yr. member who can piece, but no longer quilt. I quilted it with variegated thread on my Singer 301. Another top was from my dear friend who died suddenly in June 2020. Her unfinished top was at a sale held by her daughter and I vowed to finish it. It is a veteran quilt donation. Quilted on my longarm, Glide Cleopatra with Glide 60 grey in the bobbin.
    



9 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, Linda - it seems that too many people just don't think (and/or don't care) about anyone other than themselves. Mrs. Goodneedle chose RESPECT as her guiding word for 2022 in response to the LACK of respect we're all experiencing. And today I read an excellent article in The NY Times about the epidemic/pandemic of incivility. I'm sorry those women made you feel bad - DH has had the same kinds of issues as he is the "tech" person for his wood guild. Many folks really appreciate his efforts but there are always one or two who do nothing but complain. So sad.

Joyce Carter said...

Dear Linda. I agree with the lady above. There is always that one person that is going to complain about everything you do. Please don't let it get to you. You did an awesome job and you went out of your way to do something good for the guild. I am sure most of them really appreciate you for all you did. It makes me sad that they made you feel bad.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Linda - I agree with both of the ladies above. Some people will always complain - and are usually the ones who don't offer to help. Keep doing what you do - you are appreciated by all of us - ;))

Pat McDonald said...

Linda - you have kept our Guild together during these trying days. Thank you for all that you have done since you first joined the guild. keep up the great Work.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am so sorry about that one.
But I love the idea of one quilt for dues - and the way you complied them all. I bet half the members have NO idea how much work and commitment that is on your part.
Love the two quilts you showed - they will bring love.

Vicki W said...

What a great idea you had! I'm sure everyone else was thrilled with the presentation. Don't let the one complainer get you down. Some people just never know when to shut up.

Anonymous said...

Lovely idea/ lovely execution - your creativity and energy are a great example to your guild and to all your readers.

ceci

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh dear Linda, I'm so sorry to read about the situation caused by one person complaining about your wonderful idea! I'm pleased that regardless it all went ahead thanks to the huge input from yourself. The time involved sounds huge. Julie has wise words in her comment and the word for the year from Mrs Goodneedle is perfect.

O'Quilts said...

Tough times and tough folks. You do great work. I do not understand your "struggle" with words. It is my experience that you have wonderful articulation. good idea about dues quilt too.!!!