Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Retreat and Refocus

      The past weeks have been hectic and scattered. I had computer issues- my big computer, the iMac, went down. The repair shop found a system software update went haywire and chewed up all the memory. My Mac laptop and my iPad are no longer allowed updates to the system, browser or Blogger. They work fine, but are not allowed upgrades. These fully useful tools can no longer work for what I need them to do. It is a terrible waste of resources. I am faced with buying a new laptop or iPad. The laptop will allow me more functionality, store on a hard drive, and better processing. Then I have to decide between a Mac Air or MacPro laptop. Which one will be obsolete first? I have to spend money that I did not plan on. It seems Blogger and Google Chrome took both devices down in one day. 

     Then the election happened and I decided I would do a media fast because the nastiness and diatribes were unbearable. Our guild retreat was Thursday through Sunday, only 6 of us instead of 20, at the same place we usually go, which provided distanced tables, individual meals and rooms. Stella Niagara went the extra mile to keep things clean and safe. I decided I would focus on finished the bags of quilts that were clipped and numbered for assembly. By focusing, I was able to complete 6 quilt tops and 7 flannel pillowcases (Christmas presents) and a bunch of masks. I will be sharing the quilts throughout the week. 

    When I came back, I was refreshed, my blood pressure down, sleeping and energized. I was horrifed to see the vilification of anyone who did not vote the "right way", the smirky nastiness, and encouragement to unfollow if you did not agree totally with the poster of art and quilt blogs. I am a student of history and I study hard to figure out trends and decisions. I do not demand or demean those who think differently. I have reasoned through my beliefs and hold to them. I found myself in the crosshairs of meaness, marginalized, and scorned with no room for explanation or defense. I can respectfully disagree, but am not allowed. This is not politics- it is the basis for humanity or inhumanity. 

    I am going to keep refocusing on my work. I need to organize better, document and label consistently, and work in less distraction.  I need to get quilts quilted and better my craft in design, color, and assembly. I will keep giving comfort quilt packages. That is enough to keep me fully engaged. Focus.

    Here are 2 quilts that were sewn. Both of them have HSTs that are the same size and made from 10" squares. Placement and color are everything.




     

11 comments:

dortha said...

I totally agree with you. Sad.😔

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the zig zag!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am checking news once a day and resisting the urge to check it again - there's nothing I can do now that I already voted but it concerns me greatly that the transition is being corrupted. So I focus on my fabrics and projects, family and household needs, and ignore the rest as best I can. Good for you for refocusing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome new quilt tops, Linda!! Glad to hear that you had a chance to recharge at your retreat. I bet you had SEW much fun, too!

Pat McDonald said...

Glad you had a good time at Stella, I sure miss being there.

Debbie said...

Well said.....I even dropped a few blogs that I followed because of some vile posts. The world is different and people need to learn to be nicer in the long run.
Glad you had a good retreat. Lots of sewing is good for your heart. I love the triangles....color is wonderful.

Julie said...

Pulling in and becoming more resourceful are good tactics for maintaining your own well being. I second your sentiments against marginalizing people who don’t agree with your views. I think your snails trail is fabulous, and I’m intrigued enough to do some blocks of my own this year. A few big projects to wrap up and then time to reorganize for the winter. Keep the zen, Linda.

Vicki W said...

I totally agree! I'm also boycotting media and I find that I'm happier and more focused.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It is sad that our high schools and colleges instead of teaching our young people to think for themselves and to have a real dialogue, they are teaching them to shut out anyone that doesn't agree with them, without ever listening to the other party. That is not the way to run a country or anything else. We have to re-learn how to work together for everyone's sake, and to embrace our differences, not condemn people for not thinking the way that we think (which will never ever happen, even just between 2 people). Nice quilt top. Glad you got to go on the retreat.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful tops!! The color placement really does make the difference. I am with you - I had to just turn it off... and realize that I needed the break. Your quilt retreat sounds awesome! I may just plan one at my house... me and the dog -haha

Mystic Quilter said...

You seem to have quite a time of it lately Linda, definitely the best thing is to make quilts!! We have been catching a heck of a lot of the news and of course we had lots around election date, but we can't quite believe the goings on amongst a lot of folks in your country, so sorry to read that the benefits of your lovely break away with family were possibly negated due to the situation. You're doing the best thing - quilting!!