Thursday, November 19, 2020

Diagonal Crazy

      This is not the first time I made this pattern, but it is a very nice balance. I used a jelly roll of mixed white type solids and cut my own blues and greens from scraps. It uses two strip sets- a light-color-light and a color-light-color and then the two sets are seamed together, top and bottom. The strips are cut with a strip tube ruler or 45 degree one, opened up and then trimmed to size.

     I wanted it to be a good size comfort quilt, so it is 8 x 9 blocks, 8 1/2" finished blocks. This is the very first layout, so I will let it sit on the wall and think about it for a couple of days before I mark the rows and clip it for webbing. 

    I personally like the few lighter green strips and a couple of the odd ball strips I added. I want the quilt to have some surprises and move the eye around and not just see one area as just a repeat of the previous. I  did not realize this was a problem for people, but I took an online class today that said your colors have to "go together" and match like a collection does. I guess I might get a fine or something.


 


11 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

No fines. I like it, too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Match like a collection?! BORING!!!

Anonymous said...

Love it, just say no to quilt police!

Donnie said...

This is great. Over-matched collection quilts are boring and dull. Keep doing it your way.

Debbie said...

Matched sets like those pre-cuts that people use are not very exciting. Even a plugger like me wants variety! Maybe it is the more modern quilters that go for matchy things. I love your variety here, by throwing in lighter and darker of the color you get the movement. I look for the Xs in the design and like it. The siz-sag patterns do something strange to my eyes and brain so I avoid them completely.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I love it, too! I'm one of those who has a bunch of "matched" jelly rolls that have been in my stash for YEARS. I bought them because I liked the combination of colors - and they were already CUT. They might be "boring" and overly "matched" to some - but they work nicely with certain patterns - and they cost me a pretty penny - so I'm trying to use them up. To each his/her own - LOL - ;))

abelian said...

I don’t know of any really good quilt teacher who says things have to match like a collection. Nowadays, most of the magazines publish patterns provided by fabric manufacturers promoting a line of fabrics, which is why I no longer subscribe to them. Roberta Horton used to say that every quilt needs a renegade block or two. Dot

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the variety of mediums and darks used as the contrast with the whites. The bright ones are so cheerful and fun.

Anonymous said...

I have spent a while looking at this quilt, including without my glasses. It has a lot of interesting things going on and the colors are lovely - bravo!

Perhaps the collection pushing teacher is a fabric designer?

ceci

Quiltdivajulie said...

Boo hiss on such a stringent rule - “go together” can mean lots of different things, it is so subjective in nature. Collection - schmollection. Do your own thing that makes you happy. (Love the colors you used)

Mystic Quilter said...

This really sings Linda! Beautiful mix of different values in the greens and blues.