Thursday, November 12, 2020

Figuring out Appalachian Autumn

      When Bonnie Hunter offered her pattern, Appalachian Autumn, I bought it as I love leaves. I don't particularily love square designs, so when I saw Julie's layout, called Resplendent,  I started drawing. I thought if I made some of the leaves green, some changing and some orange, I could make it work. I also would transition the border to match the leaves. Instead of grays and creams, I decided to try light blues and dark blues. I am still totaling up all the pieces I need on my graph paper, but I have the idea going. Rectangular shape, transition leaves and border, light and dark blue backgrounds. Here is my paperwork.


     Here are my string blocks for the leaves, transition leaves to the right:


     Here is a rough mockup I did in a word processor using a couple of blocks I had :

     What I need are more light and dark blue scraps to cut out the HST and rectangles. I need to cut all the HST pieces, the two color sashing and 4 patch cornerstones. At least I have a solid start. Long way to go. Trying to keep myself from being confused in cutting the right amounts.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! That is going to be absolutely GORGEOUS!! - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray! I use graph paper and colored pencils, too. Your plan is going to be amazing. Love the richness in your colors.

Debbie said...

So pretty to mix the greens in too. And your design variation is great. You have great focus right now....and are moving so fast.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love maple leaf blocks and these with all the fabrics which add so much interest, are beauties.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That will be a pretty quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

Loving your blue background here, the orange and green really stand out so well.