Sunday, April 17, 2016

It is sewn, but...

      Sewing a quilt all together is a satisfying thing for me. On finishing the Herringbone, and looking it on the wall, it left me a bit cold. I worked hard on trimming and getting everything lined up, but I could not figure it out. My husband walks in the room and says, "Too brown" and then I realized it was the colors in the layer cake that left me cold. My neighbor and her sister walked in and said "Awesome" (they love the primitive Americana colors). So, I know someone will love this. I think the fabric is masculine enough and Americana enough that I could give it to a vet. 
Large sized lap quilt

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Just for giggles - try hanging it upside down so that the outside "herringbones" tilt UP not DOWN - see if that makes a difference in how you see it. I like it the way it is - but I happen to like brown - ;))

Peg said...

I LOVE the earth tone colors. Someone told me many many years ago that color choice can be related to thyroids. The "theory" is that those with hypo(low) thyroid levels will choose bright (hot - red, pink, yellow..) colors and those with hyper (high) will choose subdued (cool - blue. grey, brown...) colors. The "theory" worked for me as I'm a hyperthyroid - basically, I run "hot", my fingertips are always warm, I tend to sweat and cooler objects and colors are comforting to me. I have noticed that you often use the super bright colors, so I can understand why this quilt "left you feeling cold." but it leaves me feeling quite cozy and comfortable..."different strokes for different folks!"

Vicki W said...

I love it and it would be a great vet quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Borders might make a BIG difference in the way you perceive the quilt. Then again... if you are giving it away, YOU aren't the one who has to love it!! :P