Monday, April 25, 2022

Rippity rip rip solution

      Time for reckoning. This quilt top has sat in a ball in a bag long enough. It has to be dealt with. It is from back in Feb. 2020. It had a nasty curve and uneveness making it unusable. After dealing with another difficult quilt to fix, I waded into this one. I decided not to cut it into smaller blocks, but try to deal with it as it was. The pattern is free from Jo's Country Junction https://www.joscountryjunction.com/meet-in-the-middle-new-free-pattern/
     The story:
https://artinsearch.blogspot.com/2020/02/uh-oh-quilt-on-wall-not-fairest-of-them.html

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjfSDc80en0wMGmdMM4_7S5XLqdTkCXuXlhShq17BC3PA7C8dlqm9_ByAJ7UfXzFJ0OBZXWqphAJxSOfNmxWik7gCEch_fXAd5oa_8o2QpV9EHhyzsM_HKttYCR7uNGVyr4xaS5zFBkII4/s1600/brknstrqltswn.JPG
     I decided to unstitch a number of the worst looking curving seams  and press all the strips. I divided the quilt in about 5 parts. I searched through the stash and found strips that I could make 5 more sets of strips so I could add some good ones to help the curving. The seams I took out were very uneven due to the issues described in the archived blog. I repressed and restitched carefully. The long seams are too much for my mother who speeds everything under the needle to the allowance detriment.
     After some hours, I was able to rotate the quilt so now the strips go side to side and the added 5 strips plus a white one top and bottom make it long enough for a comfort quilt. I kept carefully sewing, pressing, flipping strips, alternating directions sewing the strips and finally, I was able to trim the quilt evenly and it presses FLAT!!!  I cannot believe I actually fixed it. It will make a great man's comfort quilt. Now to find a backing.


7 comments:

abelian said...

Good for you! I have always liked the look of that pattern, and am now warned, if I decide to make it. Dot

Vicki W said...

Kudos to you! I honestly feel like everything bad from 2020 needs to be burned in some sort of pagan ceremony. 🤣

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Good job!! Ripping and re-sewing is not fun - but sometimes it's the only way to fix something - and this was definitely worth fixing! It looks GREAT - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

Wow! Great job Linda! You can definitely see the ripples in the first quilt, but it looks really nice after fixing it. Some one will love to have it.
Have a wonderful week!

Gene Black said...

That is why I rarely make quilts with very long strips. It is just too easy to rush those seams.

O'Quilts said...

YEAH to you. You did a great job! I have one of those cut but not sewn.....hmmm Inspiration?? xo

The Joyful Quilter said...

You ended up with a really lovely quilt top, Linda. What perseverance!!