Tuesday, April 26, 2022

The star finally shines

      A project that had sat too long and needed to be met head on is a kit that I bought (rarely ever buy kits, but the price was so cheap for Hoffman digital fabric) for the Big Chevron Star. The pattern was confusing and I needed to make freezer paper pattern pieces in order to get the star points to sew and work properly. I can't just measure with rulers and get pieces to come out on diagonals reliably, but hey, that is probably just me.
     The part where I got stuck and the whole thing ended up in bag was when I started to add the background. It was floppy and not meeting up and it looked like a disaster.
      Recently, one of my good and knowledgeable friends and I met up and I brought the offending bag and asked for help. When we laid it out, it became apparent that I had not goofed, but the layout was goofy and needed some unusual trimming to work out. I got my head wrapped around that and worked on the background for each blade and assembled the whole thing into kind of a awkward looking top, but then was able to carefully trim and the top emerged. I added the top and bottom borders and now it looks great. Nice size comfort quilt.

See the wonky looking sections trying to come together?


7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW! - from horribly wonky to wonderfully straight - GOOD JOB!! - ;))

O'Quilts said...

amazing how it all worked out...xo

Gene Black said...

I am glad to see you got it worked out. I rarely buy a kit to make the kit quilt. I think I did that one time. But sometimes kits are a great way to get fabric at a better price.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I'm glad you stuck with it - it turned out very pretty!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Well it turned out really pretty so that is a success story. Someone is going to love it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a lovely mix of fabrics - sorry about the issues with the making of the star but the end result is amazing.

Vicki W said...

Bad patterns are so annoying but you saved it! The borders are perfect and this will be a wonderful comfort quilt.