Monday, April 11, 2022

New Storage and refolding and rethinking

      I got this brain wave a few weeks ago about replacing the white bookcase that had my 1/2 yd. to 2 yard pieces in it as the shelves were too high and did not make good use of the space in the room. However, I was thwarted by a wrong order from Overstock that took over 2 weeks to clear up and put behind me. My husband extracted a promise from me that I would never buy furniture online again.
     So, in his woodshop, he made me a great storage unit. He put aside his plans and worked on my unit. The other day, I managed to mostly fill it. I had taken the fabric off the white bookcase and put it into plastic bins and had to organize it (culled some) for the new shelving. The whole unit is 40" wide now so it fits right up to the window. The shelves are less high so it is easier to remove fabric and put it back.

Yikes, white bookcase

         Fabric in bins in my studio  

In the shop



Empty corner ready

Ready to fill

Reorganized, breathing room

     You can't see the effort, the sawdust, varnish fumes and elbow grease, but it is not fast and easy like on HGTV.
      Isn't it just lovely?

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It is lovely. Lucky you.

Quiltdivajulie said...

It is beautiful and your stash looks so happy in its new home! Congratulations to both of you for the effort this change required!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! What a difference!! It looks wonderful!! - ;))

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have less space between shelves now which has to make it a lot easier to pull fabric out. It looks great filled up!

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, it's fabulous!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh lucky you!!! This is just what I need for my fabrics, easy to see, the stacks are not too high and crowded, beautiful!

Gene Black said...

Wow, I KNOW that a lot of work went into making that happen. That shelving unit full of lovely fabric is now a joy to look at.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!! that is amazing - and heck ya - put him to work - no more online furniture shopping - he is WAY better!!!

Kathy S. said...

It is lovely -- and just perfect. Your husband is so smart. My husband has also learned that if he does a sweet project like that for me that I'm in a really good mood and happy for months. -- Seriously!

O'Quilts said...

Very WOW It looks just perfect!!!! Enjoy xox

Joyce Carter said...

WOW!! Linda, every thing looks just beautiful. It is sooo neat and colorful, I just want to stare at it. Your husband did an amazing job. Enjoy it, my friend.

Dre in PA said...

To answer your question, yes it is lovely, and more.
I hope he was able to modify the white unit for use elsewhere.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like a project right out of QuiltDivaJulie's studio and it looks equally as impressive in your space, Linda. Congratulations on your lovely new storage system!!

Preeti said...

I am jealous!!! But very happy for you. Such a keeper :-)