Friday, March 25, 2022

Some completions

      I love to sew. Sew quilts. I hate to write, it is like giving blood. I have all kinds of photos taken, labelled and ready to post, but it is tough for me to do.
     So, let me start with two quilt finishes. They are comfort quilts and not claimed yet. The first has blocks of 30s fabric that were given to me about half done.  I thought about putting them on point and adding lots of neutrals- cream, white and then a muted periwinkle blue. I wanted it longer, so I added the white strip top and bottom. The strip has specks of the same blue as the border so I thought it was perfect. Fun to quilt.
I also have a stack of larger square 30s fabric blocks that I have not figured out into a layout yet.


Back, a soft older style floral

The larger 30s blocks, hmm, what to do?
     The second qult was a 4 patch quilt block swap from my guild. I did two sets and we had 20 participants. However, the unfinished size was not adhered to by all, so I had to cut down a lot blocks and make more of my own to get enough for the quilt. I stayed the on point track and used a lot of neutrals to pull all the varied colors of the 4 patches together. I was aiming for a quilt that a man would like as I am out of those. Blue stripe binding. I tried to keep the quilting masculine and not floral scrolly.



I even love the back!

9 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations on your finishes! You're probably tired of the on point setting - but I think the larger 30s print blocks would look good in the same layout as these two - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

They might end up too large but what if those 30s blocks became the center of a square in a square block? Or maybe they could be set with wider sashing strips to create the center of a quilt that had an inner and outer border? Not sure how many you have to work with so these ideas might not suit. LOVELY work on the two finishes - and your writing is very good so please quit being hard on yourself about it.

Joyce Carter said...

Both quilts are very pretty, but I love the 30's quilt---sooo soft and delicate looking.
It is good to hear from you. You write beautifully and I enjoy reading your posts. I hope all is well.

O'Quilts said...

Both quilts are lovely. You hate to right even on the computer?

Gene Black said...

I really like the block swap quilt. But then, I am a man. LOL. The background fabric surprised me when I saw the close-up. I thought it was a solid tan..but the pattern on it shows well in the close-up.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Both quilts are really nice. With the bigger squares you could do alternating blocks of 4 quarter square triangles (hourglass blocks) but I think they would be nice in straight blocks with alternating plain squares too.

Vicki W said...

I love both of these quilts! They are going to make two people very happy.

Kathy S. said...

Beautiful finishes, Linda. I LOVE the quilting and the back of the second quilt. It definitely has a manly vibe.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

These are beautiful!!!
I really like the setting for the 30's blocks!