Monday, March 28, 2022

Sampling the patterns

      Before I go gung ho on a new pattern (squirrel), I am trying to make samples so I can see if I like making it, like the way it looks, and anticipate any problems. Before, I used to jump right in. Trying to be mature. I collect patterns by browsing, mostly free one, but I do buy some and keep them in a clear envelope pocket by my cutting area and browse them regularly thinking of ideas and fabrics.
     I love churndashes and have seen some lovely ones. I may have bought Bonnie Hunter's new pattern. I am not a flannel fan exactly, but I have made a lot of flannel pillowcases for family. There are all these flannel leftovers and I thought what about a flannel churndash? I did three blocks to see. The corner HSTs are 3 1/2" unfinished. I used the Easy Angle ruler to make them (my favorite method). I am still undecided if I should go for it.

     Another pattern I found recently is Stacks, a pattern that uses layer cakes. I don't have any floral layer cakes, but I have a lot of floral fabric, and I tried some samples. When I put them on the wall, I loved them. I think I could really show off some quilting with color thread on the white.
     The floral fabric reminds me of Deb Clarke, who sadly passed away last year. When I settle in to make this quilt, I will dedicate it to her memory and call it Deb's Garden. Recently, Deb's husband, Russ, sent me a few of her mug rugs as a gift. I treasure them and am afraid I will spill coffee on them, so I use them on my hutch.
     I have been collecting indigo fabrics for some time. I would hate to cut them too small and lose the patterns. When I saw Crown and Anchor on Jordan Fabrics and watched the video, I thought that this might be the quilt for them. I had bought the pattern earlier. Good thing I did samples. The directions leave out a critical step in cutting squares on the diagonal twice. I had to watch the video a couple of times to get it. It has a really weird block assembly for part of it- I needed the video. Sample making paid off. I think this may be the quilt for these fat quarters.




8 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Churn Dash block is so versatile, the look can be changed by fiddling with size and so on. Leave them on the wall for a couple of days and see how you feel about them then. Love Stacks with the delightful florals and they definitely remind me of Deb also. I was thinking about her last week and how much I miss her posts, she made beautiful quilts.
Such a lovely thought from Russ to send you the gift of placemats.
The indigo blocks do look to be an ideal size for the fabric.

Quilting Babcia said...

I think of Debbie often as she sent me a small Biblical verse quilt a couple months before she passed. It hangs in my bedroom where I can see it every morning. How sweet of Russ to send you the mugrug remembrances of our beautiful friend. I like the pattern you're contemplating for the quilt in her memory.

Gene Black said...

I think many of us were friends with Deb. She was such a kind soul, always thinking of others.
I do like the samples you made of the Stacks blocks. The contrast is wonderful.

Mary said...

I miss Deb too and making sample blocks is a very smart way to go.

Kathy S. said...

Good idea to make sample blocks. I don't do that very often.

I still think of Deb too. The florals were definitely her thing. How sweet to see her mug rugs on your shelf.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your sample blocks! It sure makes it easier to decide whether or not you want to make more of them. I miss Deb, too. What a nice gesture - Russ giving you the mug rugs - they look nice on your hutch - ;))

O'Quilts said...

So much fun to experiment with random fabric and blocks

Vicki W said...

Churn Dash is probably one of my favorite patterns. My Mom had made several quilts with that middle block although hers finish at 6". It makes a really pretty quilt.