Saturday, March 26, 2022

Disordered Order

      The title about describes where I am at in fabric storage reorganization. What worked well a couple of years ago has since burgeoned into a mess. My storage for 1/2 yd to 2 yards was a white bookcase. However, since the shelves have about 12" space between, the fabric tends to cascade out when I pull a few out of the stack. The whole thing began to look like a spewing paint waterfall.

When I first loaded it up, nice and neat 

   
What it became
Unloading, refolding, boxing up to empty
 
Bookcase removed, ready for something new which will fill from the window to the wall

Fabric tubs in my sewing space now, waiting.
      My husband has made me some tables recently- one for cutting and one for a sewing machine downstairs where the long arm is. I hated to ask him to make a storage wall unit, so I searched online to find something at least 9" deep and about 40" wide. I finally found a unit on Overstock and bought it. When it arrived, beside weighing over 50 lbs., the box top was damaged and it was only 6" deep even though the box and the listing said 9". Some of the side tall pieces were also missing from the box. I felt like Quiltdiva Julie with her vacuum cleaner debacle. When I got a hold of Overstock (only by email or chat), they said oh, it is one of our marketplace sellers, you have to deal with them. I said I bought it on your site and paid you and they wrote they would contact the seller. After many more emails that eventually got  a UPS label to send it back, my husband lugged it to UPS. I was supposed to get a refund three days later. It is day 6. Still unresolved.
     Meanwhile, all the fabric was removed from the white bookcase and is in tubs in my sewing studio. I had refolded it all to 9" in prep for the new unit.
    My husband, the saint, said he would make me a unit. He made me promise I would never buy online furniture again. He shopped for plywood and has the outside all screwed and glued together. Next is priming the shell and shelves and then polyurethaning it. Meanwhile, it is mess city here.


Outside of unit, shelving to come.



9 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It's looking good!! - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

For the record, the vacuum cleaner debacle is still not resolved! Your husband is right - no online furniture buying ever again. SO glad he is build a custom shelf for your space.

Gene Black said...

Now I am glad that I have resisted the temptation to buy storage furniture online. I hope you get the refund soon.

Kathy S. said...

I've never bought from Overstock, but have looked at it wondering if what you actually get is what you bought online. Mystery solved. We are so lucky to have handy husbands. I sometimes hesitate to ask my husband to do one more handy thing... He sees me doing it myself... He comes to my rescue so that he doesn't have to fix something else. Your new shelf will be a nice, high quality piece that will last and last. It will be a happy place for fabric storage.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Problem solved and your shelves can be the distance apart that you want. I usually pull the whole stack off the shelf to get out the fabric I want. Not fun though when shelves are up high.

Vicki W said...

Ordering online has started to become a giant hassle. You just don't know what you are getting anymore. It's wonderful to have such a nice and handy hubby!

Mystic Quilter said...

Fabric storage - the bain of my life! Good luck with achieving your goal.

Gwen said...

Wow, what a disappointing experience with the storage cabinet you ordered online! So glad your wonderful and talented husband was willing to build you a unit.

O'Quilts said...

Yeah handy and loving husband xoxo