Thursday, February 28, 2019

Fabric-a-poolosa!

      Whatever you call it, I had a fabric feast last week. A friend sent me a box of fabric for my comfort quilts and a guild friend had a downsizing sale due to a move. All the fabric in the box was washed and ironed (happy sigh). 
 
Great assortment of colors
Batiks over 10" in size
Bought from mover's stash

     After I put it away and was going through quilt tops as to what to quilt next (just finished the mystery quilt Alycia is doing), I found a top called Basketcase that I was not happy with because the precut Kaffe strips were cut poorly and I could not finish a last row. The quilt was 60 x 60 and I wanted it a tad bigger. 
     A lightbulb went off in my head about one of the Kaffe fabrics I had just put away from the box. Sure enough, it made a great border for the quilt. I was able to cut 3.5" unfinished strips and just make it. If I would have had more fabric, I would have mitred the corners. Now the quilt is 66" x 66" and I think a better comfort quilt size. I think some child will love it.

This is what was left over after cutting the border from the gifted fabric, not bad, huh?

8 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Lucky girl, with so much new fabric! And especially lucky that the border fabric was enough for the quilt. It is a pretty quilt and I am sure it will bring lots of comfort to the recipient.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! What a haul (and that border works beautifully with your quilt top!!)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Adding the border made a big difference. HERE's TO FABRIC FINDS!

Gene Black said...

I have bought pre-cut Kaffe squares to use and they were not square either. It is sad when pre-cuts aren't accurate.
At least you were able to find a good fabric to finish this one.

Debbie said...

Fabric finds are great! You have a new stash to work with now:) Great save with the border. It worked so well.

O'Quilts said...

Lovely fabric and quilt

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is just a beautiful creation!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh you scored a great selection of fabric! Yes, the pencil border fabric was the right choice.