It is very much winter here. Snowing right now and over the weekend we lost power for 17 hours due to high winds. My attention span has been short due to a lingering virus, neck pain, and weather disruptions so I concentrated on small projects.
I started this applique leaves piece way back in a quild retreat last March. I don't like tablerunners, so I made a wall hanging. We used fabric Modge Podge to stick the leaves down (my own leaf design) and I sort of graffiti sewed black lines on all the edges to hold them down. I used scraps to sew made fabric to connect the leaves. The border seemed to incorporate the colors and movement of the leaves.
I find it real fun to quilt with perle cotton. My mother in law used to sew huge quilts with an X stitch using crochet thread to hold together polyester knit scraps on a backing, so it probably reminds me of those treasured quilts. Since my guild co-chair for program and I are presenting a borders and finishes program March 18th, I decided to make a faux piping binding.
I cut the dark blue 1 1/2" and the gray fabric 1 3/4". After sewing long strips of the dark blue and long strips of the grey, I seamed the two colors and then pressed in half. The gray extends over the fold. I glue basted the binding on the back of the quilt with the dark blue facing the quilt, gray side up, sewed 1/4". Then I pressed, folded, glued again to the front and sewed in the ditch between the gray and the dark blue. All I have left is to put a sleeve on it and I just found the tutorial to do it by machine, which is what I will do.