Sunday, February 3, 2019

Figuring it out-finally

     A while back I finished a sunflower fabric OBW (one block wonder). I did not finish the zig zag sides because I was unsure how I wanted it to look. I had extra blocks that I could have added one piece at the end of the row, but they did not have a whole design and it seemed jarring to me. I couldn't make up my mind, so I sewed the entire quilt to get it off the wall and stop waffling. I knew I needed to add the triangles, but was unsure what to use.

     Later, I can across a blue batik that matched the patches of blue that were among some of the blocks. But I did not know how to cut and sew them in. After being inspired by Wanda's finish, just last week, it dawned on me that the edges were just two triangles that I had cut using a template, minus the center seam allowance. I took the template out and traced it on template plastic. I cut a sample diamond, marked the 1/4" seam allowance on two edges, dropped a pin where they met and matched it to the inside seam of the quilt edge. I realized that I did not need to cut the whole diamond, but just beyond the halfway point so I could trim it after.



     I sewed on the 1/4" line, when I got to the intersection, I just pivoted the fabric, easing it with a stiletto, and sewed to the outside edge. It was perfect (that does not happen too often). I continued to cut and mark all the side diamonds and sew them in. It was not that difficult. Why did it take so long for it to dawn on me?
     After trimming the side diamonds flush, I added a blue strip along the side and a wider one at the top. It is exactly what I was thinking. How about that? Of course it took months to think of it.





8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Linda, It looks great! I'm glad you have finished it.

Pat McDonald said...

It looks great. I like the way you finished it.

Debbie said...

Wow...looks wonderful That blue did a perfect job of pulling the blue from the center out. Now the eye really can enjoy all the variations. So glad you got it together for a finished top.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent way to finish -- good for you!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm so glad you figured it out! It looks GREAT! I like the "oversized" triangles at the edge - it's the same look I go for on my "on-point" layouts - a "built-in" border without having to sew on looooooooooong borders - ;))

Mystic Quilter said...

The blue border looks good Linda - hurrah for your patience!

Julie said...

I agree fully with the color of the background, and how well it suits the quilt. Sometimes it just takes a bit of curing time for a project to reveal what it needs. I think you did a beautiful job to listen before pushing through a finish. Congratulations!

Jollygirl said...

It is beautiful and that blue is absolutely perfect. I love it when I finally figure things like this out. Great job!