Thursday, February 14, 2019

Card inspired quilt sewn!

     I continued to press on finishing the quilt that my grandson designed on my get well card. After piecing and trimming, I pondered on the stars. Ethan helped me pick out fabric he thought would work. I drew stars on freezer paper, cut them out, ironed them to the fabric, and used what I learned from Karen Kay Buckley- Magic Sizing applied with a brush to the fabric, folded againt the freezer paper, and ironed flat. I had a few different size stars and went with the smallest ones I made. 

    After dusting off the vintage Bernina 830, using a 70/11 needle and monofilament from YLI in the top and bobbin, and the blind hem stitch, the stars were on. It sewed like a dream. I don't sew on it very often thinking I will break it. 

      When viewing it on the wall, it ocurred to me if I had applied what I learned from a David Taylor lecture in Houston, I would have remembered shadowing and lined the stars. Oh well, it can't ever be in judged show, but I am not ripping them out. 
     I found some big piece of hand dye for the backing, cut some Quilters Dream for the batting and will baste it all together to quilt on a beloved 301. I think it is too small for the long arm.

11 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The Bernina 830 is a workhorse. You can't break it!! The quilt is coming along great. Stars look great!

Vicki W said...

It's fantastic!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Looking good!! - ;))

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This looks great! The stars are wonderful and I like that narrow trim as the inner border.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It looks wonderful!! You really did justice to his drawing. Your grandson must be SEW proud of you! :o))

Debbie said...

What a beauty. I love the memory it holds too. Besides we don't need others approval---from a quilt judge--- when love is expressed.

Pat McDonald said...

I love the card your Grandson designed and of course the work you did on the Quilt. Can't wait to see it finished.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful -- just beautiful.

Gene Black said...

It is looking really good. I know the Grandson is thrilled with it.

Mystic Quilter said...

You must be thrilled with your progress on this Linda, and your grandson will be so excited to see the finished quilt. Brilliant job done with the fabrics to match the drawing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I love it!! Talent runs deep in your family!!