My mother was still bored. So, I cut up lots of 2.5" batik WOF strips, paired them up and sent them to her. She zip, zipped through them and gave me strip sets. She could sew WOF together, fold in half, cut and resew the strips so I could subcut them. She ironed them, thank goodness, so all I had to do was subcut them. Each strip set cuts 5 units, 4 of which are sewn in to two blocks, so maybe the extra single blocks I can sew into a strip for the backing.
|Pile o' blocks sewn|
My goal was to have the columns move your eye up and down. Even though there are some real light and some real dark blocks, I have learned from Sujata Shah and Wanda that you need those blocks in there to add interest. Matchy matchy is not my goal.
|Very first layout- top too dark and no contrast.|
|Orange rectangle too light, 3 blocks down, 4th from left|
|Darker orange resewn in, much better.|
|Final layout. Top left block is not that light- it is too close to a lamp. It is the same block as 5 down and 5 from left. It anchors the corner just fine.|