Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Give piecing a boost

     Using Leader/Enders and scraps- win-win! I love scraps. I love when they are precut up into useable shapes and sizes. Such a wonderful palette.
     If you plan it out and make all decisions ahead of time, it is not confusing and makes piecing easier. I am not a Bonnie Hunter groupie, but I love some of her quilts and especially the Leader Ender ones which are usually free.
     I plan out and precut all the pieces and put them next to my right hand, so I can grab them easily between piecing. I keep a little box to throw the completed pieces in. When I iron the blocks from the main quilt, I press the little ones also. Eventually, I build up an amount to put the bigger blocks together. Since I sew on more than one machine, I have more than one leader/ender going.
     Here is some progress on Sugar Grove:


Completed blocks, webbed block with mistake, block laid out and ironed to freezer paper (I do a bunch of these
and stack them to sew later)


Paired triangles cut with the Easy Angle ruler
next to my right hand to pick from

 

     Another one, a freebie, Triple Treat, uses teeny 4 patches and cut up strips- a 7" one cut at 4 1/2 and 2 1/2". I make the 4 patches as Leader/Enders, press and then make the blocks. 12 blocks done.

Squares, singles and pairs ready to pick and sew

     Or, at the least, if you don't have a quilt in mind, just a box of 4 patch parts next to your machine will sew up quick. I use those 4 patches for pocket quilts.

7 comments:

Jeanna said...

Those are some great looking blocks. I've always wanted to get myself organized for a leader/ender project. I'm never confident that my scraps work well enough together.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are so beautiful - the extra planning is worth it!!!

Gene Black said...

I have done leader/enders, but I prefer using the thread trimmer on my machine.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I thought you cut your triangles with your die cutter. I always love triangle quilts.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like triangle quilts, too - and cut my triangles with my LEFT-EZE Rule - it's easy and LEFT-HANDED - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm working on the OhMyGosh! quilt as my leaders & enders. Not much progress has been made this year, since I haven't had much sewing time this year.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lots of lovely triangles Linda - and lots of colour. Love the idea of ironing your pieces onto freezer paper to keep them all in order for sewing, I must try this!!