Thursday, October 12, 2023

Getting Back to it

      The it being sewing. Everything has worked against me getting any sewing done. If I don't have the machine running, I am just not happy. We went to the ADK in Sept. for a week which was grand, but no sewing. The big time-energy sucker is remodeling the kitchen which means tearing it all apart. I don't want to post those photos here today, but celebrate working on a quilt top. It is still not complete. The counter top comes next week, then the sink goes in, then the water hook up. I am doing dishes in the basement and in the bathroom. Lots of stuff still in boxes.
     Last year, I started Appalachian Autumn with a different take. Then it sat. I promised myself that I would not put it away until it is a top. I followed the graph paper I did a year ago, made all the units and then started putting it together. I completed all the blocks. I made the sashing, one by one as it I wanted it scrappy for texture.

     I decided the best way to sew it was to web it. That way, I would not turn things around, which worked. However, I have one block, bottom, 2nd from left side, with a turned leaf point that has to be corrected.


    Next, I added a graded color border also.
     Then I am adding the pieced border, also graded.
     I am back!! Even if the kitchen is not done and I am still disorganized- gotta sew or burst!

10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I absolutely LOVE your take on this!

Anonymous said...

What a stunning quilt. Thank you for sharing it.

ceci

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The quilt is looking great! The border is a lot of work but oh, so nice.

Gene Black said...

I didn't see that turned leaf point until you said where to look for it.

Jocelyn said...

It's beautiful!

Kathy S. said...

You outdid yourself on those borders! The quilt is beautiful by itself but then the borders really make it stunning. LOVE, love, love it!!! Glad you are able to find time for sewing. Now that the weather has turned a bit colder (in the 50's most days here in Ohio), I have put the kayak away and decided to get out one project and sew just a few blocks together several days a week. Hopefully this will get me back into my sewing routine. Hopefully.

I have been focusing on getting more exercise in lately which has been leaving little time for sewing. Now that I have a routine, I need to figure out how to get a little more sewing back in. I miss my blogging friends for sure.

Yes, you were definitely the Linda I was taking about in my blog post about the Bob Ross art class. :)

Vicki W said...

This quilt is going to be beautiful! Hose remodel projects are always a hassle and huge time suck. But the end result is worth it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That quilt is lovely!!! I know your pain about no kitchen sink. When my inlaws remodeled their kitchen (33 years ago), they went on vacation and left me in charge. They came home 2 days before they had countertops put in (kitchen and bathrooms). They stayed with us for those 2 days. I hope your kitchen gets finished quickly. Glad you are sewing.

Mystic Quilter said...

Looking good, love the colours and your border treatment.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your take on this - that color gradient is a very cool way to show fall!! LOVE it!!