Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Careful what you ask for

      I have always wanted a very workable kitchen and cherry cabinets. The old kitchen is about 29 years old when we remodeled the house last. I thought I needed a new one. If I knew what I knew now, I might have structured things differently. The old kitchen did not have much prep space and lots of walking back and forth. We eat most of our meals at home. My husband has celiac and I try not to eat/make processed foods out of health concerns. My kitchen is used a lot. The cabinet doors needed refinishing. They had a lot of filling strips between cabinets. I had an idea what would make it better. Big Box kitchen designers made the plan and supply list. I thought removing the two peninsulas and putting an island in would solve the prep issue. I had no idea of the disruption and dislocation and decisions to be made.

     Disassembly and packing were not a fun time. Ripping out, spackling, and painting to get ready was not fun either.




     Then the cabinets had to sit in the house when they arrived for over a week. Took up the dining and family room. Then the installers arrived.

     We (hubby) had to tap RAM board and plywood to the floors so they were not damaged. Since then, new undercounter lights were installed (hubby), the green wall painted and pieces of plywood on the counters so we could use the tops. Next week, finally the counters, sink and water hook up. Then we will decide the backsplash tiles and light over the island. A ways to go, months in. Cabinet installers are the only professionals we have used so far. Counter installers and plumber next week. My husband is exhausted and reminds me daily this was all my idea.

8 comments:

Gene Black said...

What a lot of work! I am sure it will be much easier once it is all done (and you get "settled in" to where everything is.) But, I think I will pass on remodeling.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A few years from now you will be just enjoying and not remembering the hassle. I did my kitchen 16 years ago and still love walking into the newer space. I was in limbo for a month and a half.

Quilting Babcia said...

When it's finished you will walk in every morning and just smile! I remember when we redid our kitchen in Oregon, took it down to the studs and rebuilt all the walls, installed all the cabinets, windows, etc. It took us an entire year to finish but we were both working full time then. Only things we hired done were the countertops and the flooring. Loved that kitchen and still wish we had it in our current home.

Anonymous said...

We did a bunch of kitchen work years ago (like 20+) and my husband periodically suggests I might like to design some changes? Nope, perfect just the way it is, even if it wouldn't suit most people. Your story of the disruption just confirms that for me. Having said that, we had a bathroom redone maybe 6 years ago - 9 weeks of disruption, but the result is so wonderful (heated floor! walk in shower with a seat!) that I still frequently reflect on how much I love it. I'm sure your experience will be the same, once it's done true love.

Ceci

Vicki W said...

I don't even like the disruption of simply painting a room! Our house needs some upgrades for sure but I just can't bring myself to do it. Your kitchen is looking lovely. I love the color of the cabinets.

Mystic Quilter said...

Crumbs! The thought of having a kitchen re-modelled has me shaking in my shoes!What a time for you but when it's all done and your crockery and cooking items and pantry staples are all back in their new cupboards/drawers you will be able to enjoy!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You will LOVE your center island! We have one, with our stove top in the center (we can cook from both sides of the island). I wish our center island was a bit larger. If we ever get new countertops, we will make our center island counter larger. All my prep is done on the center island. The end is in site, and your hubby will be able to rest soon.

Kathy S. said...

Think of all the wonderful, healthy meals and times you will share in your new kitchen. It will be beautiful. I can't wait to see it!