Monday, September 4, 2023

Tops sewn, borders on- bring on the backings!

      Two more tops were finished. I shopped at Joann's for the border fabric for the flannel batik squares quilt. I could not find batik flannel anywhere, so I bought a mottled lighter blue and a dark blue solid for the borders. After washing it, I cut and sewed the borders on and it is a big size about 70 x 76 now. I have to just accept it as it is instead of what it could be with the right fabric. It is soft and cuddly. When I was at Joann's, I was able to buy 5 yards of regular light blue mottled fabric that I seamed the long way for the backing (washed first) so the whole quilt is now in the line for the longarm.

    The Orange HSTs quilt with the gray slashes from Quiltdiva Julie was also sewn together, web style, and as I looked it on the wall, I thought it needed a thin border to hold the edges together when the binding was sewn on. I also thought a border would help to visually end the diagonal lines before exiting the quilt. I did not have enough of the gray used for the diagonal slashes, so a different gray was added which I think works. It is 71 x 84 so it needs a big backing. I dug out a dark blue 6 yard piece I bought at Zinck's in Berlin last May for it, but need to seam it yet. Wish I had bought more backing fabric there then.


6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

The borders on the flannel quilt finish it off nicely! The HST one is beautiful - I like the border on that one, too! - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Two nice finishes.

Gene Black said...

I really like the blue borders on the flannel one.

Mystic Quilter said...

So pleased to see your Orange HST quilt sewn up, it's a good size quilt and I like the grey border addition.

Vicki W said...

I think the flannel quilt top looks great with it's borders and that orange one just sings to me!

Lynn Hunger said...

Zinks is sew fun, but honestly I own too much already. Berlin, Kidron,and Millersburg are just a 2 1/2 hrs. Very pleasant trip from home. Have mercy, joanns is 5 minutes down my road! Keep on stiching