Saturday, July 22, 2023

Hoping for loads of comfort

      Ninety five percent of my quilts are comfort quilts. They are made to be given, by referral, to those in need of comforting due to illness, treatment, bereavement, or serious setback. Most of them tend to go to those undergoing cancer treatment because that is the most common referral. I received a message from a friend whose cousin had just found out she had stage 4 lung cancer and has a short time to live. Fortunately, I had a done quilt that only needed washing and bag preparation. I was able to get it to my friend so she could give it the next day. I prefer that the referring person be the deliverer, but that doesn't always happen. I prefer the focus on the message of the quilt.
     This quilt was made from a batik layer cake and 10" white squares. A batik to a white square, sewn all around, then cut twice on the diagonal. I love to use the Perfect Slotted ruler, because I only have to cut twice to trim to size. I used Glide celery on top.

This is a pretty large comfort quilt



The whole quilt package

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It's a beautiful quilt, Linda - and should provide LOADS of comfort to your friend's cousin - ;))

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a pretty group of batiks and a nice setting.

Elsie Montgomery said...

This is so lovely, just a comfort to look at the photo never mind the blessing it will be for the recipient to curl up in! Well done.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice quilt Linda and it's always a treat to see the back of your quilt with your super quilting designs. I haven't heard of the Perfect Slotted ruler, much check this out. Your HST quilt project from your last post is beautiful and bright, I like the grey diagonal strips.

Gene Black said...

That is a lovely comfort quilt. I am sure the friend and her cousin both appreciated it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful quilt - fabulous quilting. I love that you had one done and ready to be delivered so quickly. You and your quilts are both blessings.

Vicki W said...

What a lovely quilt and your quilting is beautiful!