Thursday, February 16, 2023

Making the Valentines

      Every year, I make Christmas and Valentines cards. It is always a stretch to get them done, but I have been able to do it so far. There probably will be a time I will not be able to make so many. I kick myself because there are always people I could add to the list, but I just cannot add any more and be timely.
     This year, I decided to make the fronts in one large piece that I could longarm and save wear and tear on me. I started with a large piece of washed cotton sheeting. I laid it on a table covered with plastic drop cloth.
      First, on dry fabric, I used cookie cutters dipped in soy wax and stamped designs all across the fabric. Soy wax melts at a low temp. It comes in flakes and I put a metal bowl in an electric fry pan and the wax melts on low temp. I dipped the cookie cutters into the melted wax and stamped one at a time. Soy wax removes with hot water and blue Dawn.
     After that, I wet the whole piece and dropped on acrylic paints that were watered down to act like watercolors. I used a variety of reds, pinks, oranges and violet. When it dried, it was a bit pale for my taste, so I sprayed it with water and dropped the paint again. I think thickend dyes would have been more intense, but I never used them before. When dry, I scraped some metallic paint over it. When dry, I washed all the wax out with hot water and Dawn. I let it try and then used big chunky foam stamps (from when I was an art teacher) and sponged on acrylic paint, stamping all over the fabric.

     When totally dry, I drew in chalk a grid the size of the card fronts. I loaded it on the longarm using heavy white felt as the backing and batting. I later realized that Rosie the cat had ripped out part of the batting (she loves shredding battin) which  did not notice until I had longarmed over the area, so it was not as padded there. I used black thread and quilted over the grid lines so I could cut the pieces apart. I should have quilted more lines, because when I cut them apart, sometimes there was not enough stitching to hold the edges together and I had to re sew on my Singer 301 the edges of the heart piece, adding more time. I free handed the hearts on the longarm and echoed over them.
     As a result, no two cards are exactly the same, but have a lot of different character across the surface which is precisely how I like my quilts and why I love to use so many fabrics or scraps.


Finally, the card assembly
     I wish I had more in process photos. However, I was trying to handle a lot of materials, especially messy ones, and I had to concentrate every step to avoid disaster. This made it hard to add taking photos to the mix. For those who received the cards- remember I love you! I have a couple of cards left over if you just have to have one even after the day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What beauties, thank you for sharing your process.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your cards - and your posts on how you make them! I'm lucky enough to be on your mailing list - so when you post your "process" post - I enjoy playing "Where's Waldo?" to see if I can spot mine - and I did - in the fourth photo - it's the third one in the top row - SO PRETTY!! - ;))

dortha said...

I would love one of your unique cards. They are just beautiful.

Quilting Babcia said...

These are gorgeous, and if there is still one left over you can put my name in the proverbial hat.

Joyce Carter said...

Linda, I am so amazed by the process you go through to make those beautiful cards. I also feel so blessed to receive one from you. It is really a treasure to receive and keep. Thank you so much, my friend and I love you too!

Ramona said...

Wow! What gorgeous cards. I’ve seen photos of some of your Christmas cards and am so impressed. It’s fun to read about your process and see the steps. Great idea to do these “in bulk” on your long arm.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love my card and admire your creative process! And I am grateful to be on your card list.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have come up with a production line method and still have cards that look like you sat and made each one individually. I love my card and love you too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great cards! I saw the one Joy posted.

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! What a process! How creative! I am so lucky and feel so special to have received one to cherish. Thank you very much!