Saturday, February 18, 2023

Crazy crumbs, but why?

      Sometimes I have no idea how I get down a rabbit trail (squirrels). I saw Jo Kramer's post and video on red center crumb blocks, so I cut some small red squares and used blue, green strips to create blocks as leader enders. I used the cut off triangles from attaching binding strips to sew around 1 1/2" red squares. Then I added strips to build blocks. Lots of fun. I have a pile of blocks in various sizes sitting here.
     I haven't the faintest idea how to put them together. I enjoy sewing them as leader enders, but I need to stop and make a real comfort quilt as the leader project, so I selected Triple Treat- Bonnie Hunter's leader ender of the year to make. The crumb blocks will sit until I can somehow think how to connect them.

Have about double this amount and some bigger

Plain blue strips, a border maybe

Two sample blocks. I have plenty of squares cut for the 4 patches,
have to cut 2/12" strip scraps into the 2 1/2" and 6 1/2" lengths yet


9 comments:

Gene Black said...

I would suggest picking one of the larger sized blocks and size all of them up to match it. You really only need to size it one direction. Then sew them into rows, because the row height doesn't matter when you sew the rows together. Don't attempt to match any points in the rows. If that freaks you out (it does some people) you can add sashing between the rows.
This is a form of liberated quiltmaking. Gwen Marston wisely said "If it is too short sew something onto it. If it is too big cut some off."

Gene Black said...

Oh yes, you can also fill in spaces with plain fabric blocks. And I highly suggest keeping it very scrappy. If you do the sashing between rows, don't use the same fabric more than twice.

PS I know this is way out of your normal style, but it is a great challenge, and you may find that you love it.

Joyce Carter said...

Hi Linda. I agree with Gene. Just pick out the largest block and add more strips to the others to make them the same size. As long as they are all the same height, they will go together well. And the scrappier, the better. Have fun with the blocks and do some mindless sewing. You might find it very enjoyable.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love, love, love the crumb blocks! Let those be your in-between project to give your brain a break from more precise piecing. (for me, the crumb blocks would quickly displace triple treat).

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Gene - size them up to the same size - and use alternate blocks. They are SO fun to make - and anything goes - ;))

Cathy said...

I love your crumb blocks. When I make them I usually try to make them close to the same size.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The crumb blocks are cute. Figure out a size you want them to be, then either add a few strips, then square them to size.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I LOVE crumb blocks!!!! You can set these on white and make a completely wonky quilt - or you can add more blocks or or or haha!! you will find some amazing way to use them!!!!

Joyce Carter said...

Hi Linda. I was looking at some scrappy quilts and I just saw a beautiful quilt using crumbs. The blocks looked like yours so I wanted to tell you about it. In the center, they had a panel with flowers on it, but you could use anything even applique a center block. Then the crumb blocks were sewn around the top, bottom, and sides. It was really pretty. You might want to try something like that.