Monday, February 20, 2023

Unexpected treasures Part 1

      There are plenty of unexpected things that happen that are a "uh-oh" instead of a happy dance (car dashboard light pop on for example). I have been incredibly blessed out of the blue by some caring people.
     The first one was a bowl presented to me by a member of my Bible study class at the beginning of class after Thanksgiving. The bowl was a thank you for teaching and a pun on the bowls in Revelation (those aren't so good). Joe is a woodturner and owns a woodturning supply store. At the time, he was building a store so he could stop renting and have more room. Costruction was a daunting task, yet he found the time to make this bowl, get signatures from people in the class, and somehow transfer them to the bottom of the bowl. It is cherry and large and totally wonderful. I was speechless which was not good because I had to teach as we are working our way through the book of Revelation. I think Quiltdiva Julie may have an appreciation for it because her husband is a woodturning wizard.

     Aren't the colors and designs in the wood just the best? Cherry is my favorite wood and every square inch of it is so varied and gorgeous.
     Because Christmas was delayed/cancelled due to the Buffalo Blizzard and my mother's hospital/rehab emergency, it was a while until I got together with my friend Elizabeth. She made me an incredible tote bag using some orphan blocks from her Pickle Clamshell quilt. She used the foamy interfacing and the whole bag is of high quality and impeccable workmanship. She had all kinds of goodies in the bag including fabric. I almost am afraid to use it and get it dirty.
Similar designs on the other side.
     And then, just last week, I got a box in the mail from a place I never heard of, Southern Seasons. When I opened the cardboard box, this was inside. It had a note in it from Joy wishing me a Happy Valentines Day! Can you believe it? Wow. Inside were items from Graham, NC. Roasted peanuts, dark chocolate pecan toffee, and a cookie in a beautiful photo box.


     I am grateful that all the unexpected happenings were bountiful blessings. Now about that car dashboard light....

9 comments:

Gene Black said...

Wow, that bowl is truly beautiful. I have known several wood turners in my life. That is remarkable workmanship.
The bag is lovely, but I am sure your friend would want you to use it.
And the package from Joy is so sweet (pun intended.)

We are truly blessed when we have friends.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Indeed we all need these unexpected blessings in our lives. You are right - that bowl is gorgeous (and meaningful). DH also totally approves! How wonderful to read this post today - reminds me of why I so firmly believe in the "pay it forward" theory.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have always loved wood items even as a child. My husband was a woodworker too so I appreciate fine woodworking. Cherry is a beautiful wood, such beautiful color and grain. That is such a thoughtful touch to engrave the signatures on the bottom of the base.

Vicki W said...

That bowl is spectacular! All of your gifts are lovely and you are well deserving of all of them!

Quilting Babcia said...

Unexpected blessings are the best kind! And you have blessed many others along the way. The bowl is a real treasure, as are the other gifts. Enjoy!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a beautiful bowl - and tote bag - and goodies! Friends are true blessings - ;))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My stepfather is a wood turner, so I know what goes into turning that bowl. Lovely and special!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful cherry wood bowl and lots of other goodies arriving for you,
bountiful blessings indeed.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Big fan of cherry wood and can only imagine how surprised you were by that incredible bowl! Enjoy your new tote bag, along with its contents. Hoping you enjoyed your sweet treat, Linda! You are SEW kind to so many and I wanted you to know that your efforts are appreciated.