Thursday, July 7, 2022

Twins- sort of, kind of

     Back a couple of months ago I think, A Left Handed Quilter asked me if I wanted to do an Upstairs, Downstairs with her with the same jelly rolls, but using a different color for the diagonals of the block. She has EQ, so she sent me previews of the color possibilites. I chose the blue as the main diagonal. We bought the jelly rolls at jelly roll fabric (4 rolls of 20 strips each). They all had green, blue, purple, pink and yellow but different fabrics for them so we made groups of them for strip sets.
    I did post the early stages of this quilt. I added the border so I don't have all those seams popping and all in the binding lumpy. Hate lumpy binding, love it smooth. I have to look for some backing. It is 63.5" x 84" now. Check A Left Handed Quilters blog for hers. What do you think? I thought it was a fun and productive challenge. Anytime I can get a comfort quilt top out of some fun, what is not to love?

    Unfortunately, I did not see the wrong turned blocks on the wall and sewed them together. The next day it was obvious. Had to rip out and do inset seams. But here is the corrected version.

9 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for playing along with me - it was fun! LOVE how they both turned out - ;))

Gene Black said...

I think it would be fine either way. I still can't see anything "wrong." But my rule is "If it bothers me, then I change it."

The final top looks great!
Hopefully ALHQ will post a side by side of them both so we can easily see how different they are.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I can't see any wrong turned block in the first photo so I sure don't know what you changed.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it turned out great!

Mystic Quilter said...

I second Wanda, can't see where you had wrong turned blocks, however, the finished quilt is smashing and I love the colours used, reminds me of a soft rainbow.

Quiltdivajulie said...

That border just makes your quilt top sing!

Jeanna said...

I came over from A Left-Handed Quilter's blog. I love your version of Upstairs/Downstairs as well as hers. Amazing what a difference changing the diagonal fabrics can make. I would have to add a border. Like you, I don't like lumpy binding. Enjoy your weekend.

O'Quilts said...

i am light years behind in reading blogs...Tonight I tried a mini catch up and found this...just lovely xoxo

Cathy said...

What a fun challenge with a "what's not to love" comfort quilt result!
I would have had a difficult time choosing a center color.


Kind of like a word search game I went looking for the incorrectly turned blocks in the first photo and had to give up. Didn't see them. But I'll blame bad eyesight!