Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Blue Star goes home

    Despite all the goings on here, I was able to get the Big Chevron Star to its home. My daughter's roomate from college has a little girl that has big medical issues from birth, especially heart problems. She has been back and forth to Boston, MA from Rochester, NY too many times. She was scheduled to go again, and I thought of her older sister who was going to stay with grandma and grandma again while the little one was in the hospital. I asked her mom what big sister liked and she said anything and the color blue, so I wrestled through the Big Chevron Star which had languished in uncertainty and finished it up.
    Quilting it was fun. I tried to vary the scale of motifs and make them fun in the fabrics. The kit had a wonderful fabric for the binding which I used. I made a big pocket for a bag for the quilt and mailed it to her grandparents' house while her sister was in the hospital. She was greatly surprised. She sent me a cute thank you via her grandparents. So glad I could brighten her day and give her some comfort. Aren't quilts just the best?




10 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Quilts have a magical language all their own. No explaining it, it just happens.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of her sleeping under the new quilt! Visuals are so strong!

ceci

Anonymous said...

Perfect - hope her reply made your heart and soul happy. (Quiltdivajulie)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That quilt was just waiting to comfort this little girl - ;))

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm sure the surprise of it arriving and then seeing it in her favorite color must have been so exciting for her. She definitely needed some comfort too. I love the thank you note.

Charlotte M. said...

And isn't this the reason we quilt? To spread comfort and happiness just like this. Good job!

Gene Black said...

What a joy to see her thank you note and the darling drawing.
The quilt is lovely and I can see why she adores it.
I have a great nephew who has made many trips to Boston for a heart issue that he was born with. That is apparently "the" place for those issues.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhhh How very sweet!!! and her picture - adorable!
that is a beautiful quilt - I love the quilting you did on it ! Especially in the Blue star part!!

Kathy S. said...

As always, that is soooo thoughtful of you to think of Natalie. I especially love how you quilted it to make it extra special. It also looks like you had a lot of fun following the advice of the fabrics for quilting. Gorgeous, Linda!

O'Quilts said...

wonderful....gosh I have been missing a lot xoox