Sunday, December 20, 2020

Zig zag Comfort

      Somehow someone found my blog and asked for a comfort quilt as they were a cancer patient. I did have a top, but it wasn't quilted. I had just finished two other comfort quilts and gifted them recently, so I was not on top of it. I put holiday stuff aside, finished my cards and got the quilt quilted, made the bag, card and pocket quilt and it went out in the mail yesterday. Whew. Exhausted. I am hopeful the package will reach her before Christmas and give some much needed comfort. The quilt was one I finished at a quilt retreat in November. 

     I used Masterquilt blue thread on the top, gray DecoBob in the bobbin. The backing fabric is another present from Gwen, and is the smoothest, nicest fabric ever- from Art Gallery. Broken polka dot binding. Almost had it done and the tension went south with two rows to go. I am pretty worn out trying to figure out the longarm thing. I don't know why this happens, I am scrupulous with cleaning, oiling, checking, etc and this happens repeatedly so I approach quilting with a pit in my stomach. I have made a list of all I do to keep it consistent and can't figure it out. I don't know whether to sell the machine or really what to do. I did finish the quilt, but there were tears, not of joy.


Detail

Back, the nicest fabric ever, from Art Gallery, seamed pretty good for me

Detail

The tote bag, made the pocket from scraps, cards and stuff in pocket


8 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a lovely quilt - I'm sure it will bring much comfort and joy to the recipient. I'm so glad they found you and your blog. As far as your machine goes - I'd sell it and get one that doesn't give you as much grief - maybe Santa will bring you one that works properly - and consistently - it couldn't hurt to ask - LOL - ;))

Barb said...

What a wonderful black and white quilt!
I'm sure it will be much appreciated.
sorry to hear you have so many machine issues.

Debbie said...

And it gives the added stress you do not need!
What a wonderful thing you do and gladly I know. It turned out beautiful and pray the recipient takes extra comfort in your work.
As for the long arm....they do have quirks and minds of their own. I am guessing it is lint that is the culprit. I can be working along great and suddenly the tension goes and I get bird's nest or the terrible whiskers. When I pull out the bobbin case, I usually find just a small bit of fluff will have caught in the spring of the hook. That takes all pressure off the bobbin thread. Not sure if that could be happening with you. But it is the pits!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt. Sorry about the tension issues. Nice of you to do this for someone.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Beautiful zig zag! I always have to check after putting in a new bobbin whether the tension is OK. I hope you can resolve the problem.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I don't remember which brand of long arm you have, but I am sure that If you contact the manufacturer after the holidays and ask to speak with one of their technicians, they might be able to give you some pointers. Or share some resources online or a more local seller/user who could be of assistance. OR, sell it as is and put the money towards a new machine. It is supposed to be fun and rewarding, not stressful and unpredictable with tears of not-joy. You deserve better.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such comfort this quilt is sure to provide, Linda! As always, your varied quilting designs add extra interest. Your recipient is going to love it!

Vicki W said...

What a lovely gift!