Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Tree farm grows

      The Christmas Tree farm quilt continues. After making some trial blocks, I went all out and finished nine of them. 

      Then I laid out all three red trees, each on its own cardboard tray, and sewed them. I cut the corners before sewing with the Mini Simple Folded Corners template- I can't sew on those diagonal drawn lines straight and I can't draw the lines on the fabric with the fabric moving all around on me. Using that template has revolutionized my sewing of flipped corners.

     Finally, I could lay out all the trees as per the free pattern from Moda.  https://www.modafabrics.com/2015/05/tole-christmas.html

MBS-tole-christmas-main

     However, I did not like the way the bottom points of the trees had no breathing room between trees. I did not like no breathing room between rows. So, I sewed a 2" white strip between the trees on the top row to see if I like it better. Yes. Then I tried some trunks for the trees thinking it would look too phoney, but, hey, I like it. I have laid out different brown scraps for the trunks and need to figure out the length of the 2" white strips to see between the tree rows. I will put a wider white border around them all, but I am also thinking of a print border, not sure if I have enough quantity of Christmas fabric to do that, but I will have to figure it out.


10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the extra spacer strip and the trunks are perfect!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think they look better with trunks too. I'm with you on the simple folded corners template. It is the only way for me and I have both sizes of the template.

Debbie said...

All your design changes are big improvements! Trees need space and room to breathe and the trunks are great too.
For the border instead of an all print border why not intersperse the white among the prints? Like 5 inches of print, 5 inches of white, then another print to create the border strip. That way you could mix in whatever prints you have left.

Anonymous said...

I like all the options - what a great idea. Maybe for next year? Or a small one for a Christmas baby?

ceci

Dre in PA said...

They are more like trees and less green arrowheads...
You lose the upside down symmetry of the white arrowheads for the more natural look. I like the tweak!!

Vicki W said...

Oh yes, your plan is much better.

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely a good move to add the trunks! Wondering now if I would have time to make one for Christmas, did it take lots of time to cut and sew Linda?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like your version better, too!! It looks great - ;)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The trunks are a perfect add!! They look so great!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those are cute trees. They will make a nice wall hanging.