Tuesday, December 22, 2020

O Christmas trees, O Christmas trees...

      I finished piecing the Christmas Tree top (Tree Farm from Moda, free pattern) but added some changes I think worked for the better. I thought the trees were too close with no air between them, so I added white sashing strips and I added the trunks. I did not like the way the quilt just ended at the white edges. I was able to use scrap strips from the trees for an inner border, but the only the dark ones looked good. They were sewn in hunks, whatever was left, randomly. For the outside border, I wanted cheery but calmer than a Christmas print. I found a beautiful red bubble batik in the stash. I only had 1" WOF left over after cutting  5" strips.


There was an oops wrong value strip at the top I saw after sewn,
so I had to rip and change out for the green above it.



     I have absolutely no idea when I will be able to quilt it. I do have the backing and need to sew that together to show. I feel guilty, but I am keeping this one. I have always wanted a Christmas quilt. It is about 69" x 81".

10 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Why feel guilty? No one ever said you HAVE to give away everything you make. Just because they comfort other people it doesn't mean you can't comfort yourself too. I always wanted a Christmas quilt too and finally made mine a few years back. I absolutely love pulling it out every year and don't put it away until mid January.

Joyce Carter said...

The lady above said it perfectly. You deserve to keep the quilt for yourself because you do so much for others. So keep it and enjoy it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

NO guilt - it is beautiful and you deserve to keep it!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Wanda - there is NO RULE that says you HAVE to give away your quilts. You made it - you keep it and enjoy it. There is no "G" in "Q"uilt - ;))

Debbie said...

I love your version! It all looks smashingly wonderful! This is a no brainer so no guilt....keep it and enjoy! You put the work in, you altered the design and now you get to enjoy it! Not every quilt needs to be given away, this one is given to you from you :)

Gene Black said...

You certainly should NOT feel guilty. Keep it and enjoy it fully. I am sure it will look lovely in your home.

The Joyful Quilter said...

There is absolutely NO REASON for you to feel guilty about actually wanting to keep something you have made, Linda!! You are SEW generous with your time and talents. It's OK for you to keep as many quilts as you want!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love how this turned out!! You can worry about quilting it next year, and you will be ahead of the Christmas Quilt game for 2021! ;-)

Vicki W said...

Your modifications made this so much better! It will be a great new decoration for next Christmas.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Why should you feel guilty for keeping one of your quilts? We quilters deserve quilts, too. It is hard, since we give so many of our quilts to others. Happy New Year!