Saturday, December 19, 2020

Cards to the finish line...er...mailbox

      Since I was 19 I have been making my own Christmas cards. I have used many different methods and somehow the list grows longer every year. I did silk screening for a while. When I retired, I dusted off my watercolors and renewed my love of working with them.

     What looks good in one or two, once you have to make over 100 of them, things get difficult. One year I made color copies of my watercolor for the cards. No one was happy. Every year I vow I won't do it again and I start to hear the "can't wait for your card" remarks and cave. This year, I painted and made over 100 and mailed them out. This is why there are no decorations up at my house. They were all mailed out this week and others hand delivered. It was a marathon.

     I paint mostly with Winsor Newton paints, some Holbeins. I use Arches 140 Cold Press Bright White paper. It is the best for painting as it is all rag and can be wiped out and repainted. I painted the trees after the backgrounds were dry and then spattered white acrylic with a kid toothbrush for snow. Then I cut the trees in between. Then I glued them all on premade cards that I buy at Joanns with coupons. I used printed labels and Christmas stamps. Then I had a big glass of wine...or two.

First, I painted the background. I was going for a Northern Lights look. Someday, I hope to actually experience them. I love them.
Individual Cards, some different sizes, ideas

Pile of completed cards




13 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

BEAUTIFUL cards!! I think they deserve more than a glass or two of wine - of course, that depends on the size of the glass - LOL - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

Your cards are beautiful, Linda. I am sure they take a lot of time to make, but they are very much appreciated.
(When I read your post, I thought of the song "Hole in the bottle" by Kelsea Ballerini. LOL)
Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and the best in the New year.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lovely cards, as usual. You are so creative.

Ramona said...

Wow! Your cards are stunning! How do I get on your mailing list? :) Merry Christmas!

Debbie said...

What a wonderful array of fabulous cards! You send a gift of your hand, heart and time with each one of these. Each year you outdo yourself it seems. And each one is just more special than the next. You deserve a whole bottle in my opinion.....who needs decorations!

Gene Black said...

Those are just gorgeous, Linda. I know they will be loved by the recipients.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The two I have are framed and enjoyed year round. Your work is beautiful! Thank you for the time and love you invest in each and every card!

O'Quilts said...

Lovely job!! Wonderful to be able to send good wishes that are original xo

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

They are beautiful!! I saw the Northern Lights once back at the end of the 1970s. I think it is the only time we have had them visible in this area of the country. We had company over and when we were walking out with them we looked up and were truly amazed. Back in those days the weathermen weren't telling us about every little thing that was happening.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So beautiful! I made an ornament out of the one from last year - they are so pretty!

JustGail said...

Your cards are lovely! And thank you for including what paints you use. I've often wondered if my... issues... with watercolors was due to using cheap ones like is available in the school supplies department. I did get some in tubes but haven't worked up the ambition to try them. Yet.

I saw the Northern Lights once, many years ago. I'd have paid more attention if I knew what that transparent white glow (no colors though) in the sky was.

Sylvie said...

Wow, so lovely, lucky recipients!

O'Quilts said...

I saw this on Wanda's blog...AND I see I have already commented on how lovely they are....life is amazing...We are all so interconnected xo Diane