Saturday, June 17, 2023

Roses are glorious flowers

      I admit, I was always afraid of growing roses. However, with some advice and help, I am robustly planting them. I stick to shrub roses. I have a tiny yard, but there is always room for another rose. I love the David Austin roses and I have also been buying some from Heirloom roses- own root roses, not grafted. They have big sales and they have great how to videos. I do have to do titanic battles with Japanese beetles at times, althought right now, they are absent. I have had to fence them in because the insane rabbits ate canes last year.



Hot Cocoa- given to me by a friend who did not have enough sun. This rose has the most beautiful shiny dark green foliage and such a beautiful color flower








      This is a new Heirloom rose I bought on sale- aptly named "Take it Easy". It is growing well so far. First planted.

Today

5 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Yes, yes and yes again to David Austin roses!! Their colour, form and scent are always delicious. I have quite a few in our garden, sadly neglected over the past 15 months but I hope to recover some order here and there soon. Thank you so much for posting these photos today, great heart lifters!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love roses but don't really have a place to put them. Also I'm not fond of plants with thorns. I'll enjoy your roses.

Gene Black said...

Years ago I had the most amazing rose bush in my front yard. It was a Rio Samba bicolor hybrid. It produced amazing flowers for several years until it was killed by our psychotic southern weather one year.(cold/hot cold again, cycles)
I love that red/white bicolor you showed.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your roses are truly glorious!! - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

My mother grew roses - she loved the few bushes she had. We tried growing some in Indiana with moderate success. Here the roses that are most prolific are the KnockOut variety. Yours are far more beautiful!!