Thursday, September 29, 2022

Inspired to try, Yay!

    I am inspired in reading other's blogs is to try something I never would have thought of. Jo of Jo's Country Junction described making "yard sauce". Since I use lots of tomato sauce, but canning would make me lose my mind with all that boiling water and such, this was something I could try. I made one small batch and then I visited my local farmer's market to buy more tomatoes. I used Roma and beefsteaks because that is what they had.
    It was so simple, smelled wonderful, and was so easy. I used a food processor instead of a blender, because blenders spit back hot stuff at me. I have a great Kitchen Aid food processor, no bells and whistles. I used parchment paper to line the sheets for easier cleanup as it roasts for an hour. The Corningware pan needs less time as the parchment paper got a little too crispy. My Nordicware baking sheets were perfect. I ladled the sauce into Ziploc quart freezer bags and put them flat stacking in the freezer. What could be easier?



    Some fall flowers blooming out front at the same time.

Last two Pink David Austin roses


Zinnias just keep going till it frosts


3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Cool way to use the excess tomatoes (we used to can but no more). Thanks for the link!

Gene Black said...

That looks lovely. The tomatoes did not do well here this year. My brother's excess crop was okra. So I have been eating it to excess. His wife both froze and canned a lot.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh YUMMY!! Yard Sauce looks delicious and just the sort of thing we could use when we have our pasta meals, looks a lot quicker than making my traditional Ragu. Just headed over for the recipe! A delight to see your David Austin roses and I can only imagine right now the beautiful scent, zinnias are a good standby in my garden, beautiful colours.