Thursday, September 2, 2021

A new Spin on it

     Everyone needs to get out once in a while, out of the comfort zone and try something challenging. That is what I did at the Quilters Gathering in Berlin, OH, Aug. 27 and 28th. I signed up for a class taught by Julie Stocker on Spin Drift. I knew it would be challenging and I knew I could learn a lot. I know Julie. We met as bloggers and later in person over some trips I have taken down to Amish Ohio country. She is the best. 
     My husband was willing to drive me. He also loves to spend time at Keim Lumber in Charm, OH- hours. It made a nice get away and I was able to learn, sew, and chat with quilters from all over. How can you beat that? I took home lots of tips from Julie's expertise. My husband bought a lot of wood.
     I do want to make more blocks for an entire quilt and now I know how. The patterns instructions leave a lot of room for improvement, and Julie took care of that. I know lots of people prefer online classes, but meeting in person with others gives more meatiness and satisfaction in the process. Observing how others work around you and seeing their fabric choices and tools is added benefit.

My sample test block

How to assemble sashing which is better not cut on the bias as in the pattern

Layout of assembled sash


8 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Oh my! Your sample test block is just GORGEOUS, Linda! I didn't realize that you were in "my neck of the woods" while I was in "your neck of the woods"! I'm so glad you had a fun time in Ohio Amish country. Bonus that your husband was able to go to Kiem Lumber.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh this is going to be cool!! and totally different! I am so glad you got to have a great outing! Enjoy yourself!!

Karen S. said...

Really pretty block. Can't wait to see how it goes together with others. Have you been to Lehman's hardware yet? There is a small one and a BIG one - hubby would love it!!! Let me know when you are off on class trips- would be nice to attend, but I often don't know about them. Blessings!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your test block looks terrific! And I agree - I avoid cutting anything on the bias if I can - and wonder why patterns are written that way. Contrary to popular belief - HST and QST are NOT interchangeable - LOL - ;))

Joyce Carter said...

Wow! What a gorgeous block Linda! Love the colors you chose.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE that sample block (and that you and hubby enjoyed a nice outing!)

Gene Black said...

That quilt does look to be quite a challenge. Congrats on making a good start. I agree that sashing should NOT be cut on a bias.

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning block Linda!! Love the fabrics and the centre one is perfect. I Have been trying to get a hold of this pattern for ages but can't seem to find it on the Amitie site in Australia where Michelle had patterns, I shall keep hunting. I'm so looking forward to seeing your blocks come long.