Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Digging in deep and scary

       I become convinced I had to tackle the quilt top and backing situation as it was getting close to scary. I took all the tops out of the closet and labeled each of them for size. I took every large piece of yardage (over 2 yards) out and sorted and measured them. I made tags from post it notes that are pinned to the lower right corners so I can just browse throught the closet and see the size. I took all those sizes and descriptions and wrote them down on a legal pad. I am trying to make a spreadsheet in Google docs (learning as I do it) to enter all that info- ode to The Left Handed Quilter who loves spreadsheets. 

     I am washing every single piece, folding on a hanger, labeling and hanging in the closet. My hope is that I will look at the spreadsheet and see what sizes I have for tops. My goal is to match all tops with backings, sew them and have them in line for the longarm. I have to do it. I don't want to do it. I am doing it. 

     I have to make a spreadsheet for the tops also. What have I gotten myself into? Almost 3/4 of the fabric is washed and dried and I have run out of plastic hangers. I have to hit the dollar store to get this done. 

To get washed after measuring
Backings top rack, quilts bottom rack. Not done yet with backing, still washing

   I buy what I think would make a good backing when I find sales. Sometimes people donate the backing to me for the comfort quilts (Gwen), and sometimes I have to piece them. I am resolved that when a top is done, I am getting a backing together. I have no idea how long this will take, but I am gritting my teeth and getting it done. I pray I don't run out of steam and determination. I know it will be worth it.


11 comments:

Mary said...

It will definitely be worth it.

Mystic Quilter said...

Good organisation Linda - I hate spread sheets!!

O'Quilts said...

omg..totally impressed here. I have zero organizational skills..Good idea to make some backings ahead of time.

Gene Black said...

I admire those of you that do that. I quilt as a "hobby" so I don't want to make it "work."

I worked on spreadsheets for years. In my retirement, I prefer to avoid them.

ebwhite said...

Well begun is half done. And you are more than half done. Sending some determination and perseverance your way. Just think how great it will be as the closet is less full. I will not say half full since we all seem to keep making those tops.

Debbie said...

So worth the effort! I did this usually with backing and batting and top together.....when I was feeling good and productive. I never had as many tops as you. Makes it so easy to finish one up when needed quickly. Love your idea of a spreadsheet to know what is what.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! that closet is really cool - and how organized are you!! I love it!

Deanna said...

It is totally worth it. The payoff will be an equally large pile of finished quilts, and all the joy that comes with them.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It will totally be worth it - keep going! I LOVE spreadsheets - occupational hazard, I guess. It's nice to be able to see at a glance what needs what. Having the tops and backs all sorted and measured is a HUGE undertaking - CONGRATULATIONS!! - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, the pain will be worth it in the end. I have resolved NEVER to put a finished top into the waiting closet unless the back is with it, and not just yardage for the back - a back that is ready to press and pin baste! This is my year to quilt and finish the 20+ quilts and sometimes backs that are lurking in my closet. No. 6 is under the needle now so I wish you determination and courage and stamina to stick to your task (I love spreadsheets, too BTW).

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I would measure those backing pieces after you wash them, since they will shrink. Good job. It will be worth it in the end.