Sunday, February 7, 2021

An Extra Three Years

      On February 7, 2018, I suddenly out of the blue suffered a heart attack. Serious enough to warrant an emergency ambulance ride, three rounds of zapping and 2 stents. It was a hard road to get better. I have participated in cardiac rehab 3X a week since then.

     God was gracious to my family to spare me then. I was able to witness a grandson's birth and grandkids' growth and make a lot more comfort and other quilts. I am grateful to God for the extra time. Let me remind you, especially women, that women's heart attacks don't have the normal symptoms. I have zealously told my story to other women warning them to act quickly and decisively if they had something similar happen. I thought maybe I talked about it too much, by to my deep sadness, one of my best friends, Jan, died of a heart attack in June as she waited through initial distress too long and did not insist on the ambulance taking her to the premier cardiac center (saved my life) in our area. She died after arrival at the nearest hospital.

    Everyone is all wigged out about COVID, but heart attacks kill more women every year than COVID has this year. Heart disease is all too prevalent. February is heart month. 

    Many blog readers reached out to me then, some sent gifts, and I am grateful for all of you. Today, I got a request for a comfort quilt for a 54 year old woman with pancreatic cancer. I don't know her, but she has to be hurting. Below is a top that I hadn't got to quilting yet and need to make a back for. From now on, backing gets made when quilt is pieced. Yes, I know there are errors in the stars. It is MSQC Disappearing Hourglass. I have to get the backing done and quilted real quick and get it in the mail. And I was given the extra days to do it. Thank you, God.



14 comments:

Deanna said...

I am so glad you are here to share and inspire. I, too, have been given a few extra years and, while I have no fear of death, I am constantly impressed with the precious nature of life.

Sue Swank said...

I've not heard your story. Do share again. I am aware women do not have the classic symptoms that men have. Glad you're still here. God must have a plan for you.

Joyce Carter said...

Linda, I am so glad that you are doing well. You have been an inspiration to me. I had my heart attack 2 years ago today, but it was a mild one. I didn't know what was happening at the time. I just know that I felt deathly ill. There was no pain, no tightness in my chest or any symptoms that told me that was what it was. I went to my Doctor and when she told me, the first thing I said was "But I didn't have any symptoms." And she said "Most women don't." It is really scary.
Thank you for your encouragement and your pep talks. It means a lot to me. Take care!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think women have the built in feeling that it can't happen to them and that denial messes with the response. I'm glad you had the sense to act immediately and get the help you needed. I didn't have the typical symptoms of my electrical system in my heart failing either and I got help just in the nick of time.
By the way what you are calling mistakes in the quilt are points of interest to me. They look intentional and make the viewer look around and see all of the fabrics and the cute little corner hourglasses

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE those "mistake" blocks, Linda!! Thanks for the reminder about heart month. SEW glad that you are still around to tell your story!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Me, too! I'm glad that you're still here to inspire all of us - and I think that your "mistake" blocks aren't mistakes at all - they're fun little surprises that we find as we explore the blocks checking out the fabrics and colors - ;))

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow! What an anniversary to celebrate - I am so glad you took care of you and got help!!! And that quilt - nothing wrong with it - I see a TON of love in it!! and caring for the recipient!

Debbie said...

A really great reminder for us all. I get it and know where you are coming from. The quilt is great even with the gentle reminder that we are all human! I know it will comfort the woman in her need. God's timing is all we need.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My sister had a heart attack years ago and is doing well now but it was scary for a while. Her symptoms were NOT at all typical. If in doubt, GET HELP! (I had a stroke before I was 40- strokes are another major disruptor of life - and I am beyond grateful for nearly 30 extra years of living at this point).

Vicki W said...

I'm glad you are here and that you continue to tell your story. I remember working with a woman who had a similar experience. She was a city bus driver and had her heart attack while driving. Her symptom was throwing up. Someone on the bus recognized it for what it really was and they got her to the hospital in time. I agree with you. The hysteria over covid is NOT what people should be focused on.

Barb said...

What a lovely gratitude post.
Such a good reminder of Women and heart disease.
great quilt - love all the reds and pinks

Mystic Quilter said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Linda, your advice should be followed by all of us. I have not suffered a heart attack out of the blue but during major surgery at 28 yrs I had anaesthesia awareness covering all three effects, paralysis, pain and unable to make anyone aware of this even though I heard them talking, what they were doing and I went into cardiac arrest, took 6 minutes to get me back, then into fibrillation. Thank God I survived even though it was a long road and has left me with PTSD. At the time I had my three children. and husband and I am grateful for every day and have made it to 74 yrs.
I am sure this beautiful quilt will give comfort to the recipient, it is beautiful and does it really matter in the grand scheme of thinks if there should be a little hiccup here and there with stars - I think not and she will welcome the quilt just as it is!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I' know I'm glad you are still here. I know the lady will love that quilt.

O'Quilts said...

I did not know this....Wow...you are indeed a survivor and pretty young for a heart attack, me thinks... But, look at you carrying on...xoxo love to you.