Friday, July 17, 2020

Tidal Pool contained

     I am not going to call this Tidal Pool anymore as I used the pattern as inspiration, but did not copy it exactly. It looks like Crayon Circle Scribbles, so that is its name.
     When it came time to assemble all the 8 1/2" unfinished blocks, I was going to web the construction as usual. However, I saw that Lynne remarked that hers was a bit ungainly to manage and I remember that stage. I thought if I assemble the blocks into 4 patches completing a circle block, it would be easier to web. Then, I remembered the Left Handed quilter showing how she webbed from the left vertical long row instead of the top. Since this quilt was longer than wide, I tried that and then I only had a few short row seams to sew. So, blog friends helped in trying a new way to construct a quilt. Thank you.
The blocks sewn into 4 patches first
All sewn up. A border maybe? 2 1/2" strip scraps around the edge?

     I have no idea yet how to quilt it and it doesn't matter as my longarm is still hostage under drop cloths although I can hear the laminate floor being banged together underneath me as I type.

10 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE it, Linda!!! Off to check out that webbing method...

Mystic Quilter said...

Crayon Circle Scribbles looks tremendous!!

Gene Black said...

I love it Linda. I would hesitate to put a border on it. But if you audition the scrap border and like it, you will know better.

Debbie said...

Just fabulous, girl! Love the name too. I do the web thing from the left side to right as you did. Top down gets unmanageable sometimes. Border.....for me I would use a narrow strip to stop it and then do a scrappy mixed border of whatever was left. I saw one border of scraps that was done using all the scraps in the 'crazy patch style' It turned out great and might fit with this. Just an idea.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Most of the time I design my quilts sideways on a double design wall so I end up with the shortest seams last too. This is such a pretty quilt with a carefree vibe. It is going to make someone very happy.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the shout-out!!- I like webbing from the bottom up and from left to right - it leaves me with the FEWEST long seams at the end. They may be longer - but there aren't as many of them and it works for me - LOL - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Crayon Circle Scribbles is a great name - I really like this quilt!

Sujata Shah said...

You thought of a perfect name for your quilt! It is great that you can work though the construction. Hope you get to use your longarm soon enough.

Jane Dallmeyer said...

Is this circle block hard to make? I have not enjoyed sewing curves....but I might try again after seeing this beauty. Really like it!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think this is such a cool quilt!!