Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Scattered Shots

     Finding it real hard to concentrate these days. In the face of so much fear, unrest, nastiness, and loss, I am sort of numb. I have tried to work in fits and starts, but no momentum. I miss people. I am not an introvert. 
     The long arm is out of commission as the basement is being remodeled to make it a bright and happy place. 
     I did try Bonnie Hunter's new Leader and Ender, the Shoo Fly Block, but after a few blocks, it is not singing to me. I will make some of her new Leader/Ender blocks.
     Then I used leftover pieces to try a new idea with skinny neutrals among leftover pieced strips. 8 1/2" blocks unfinished. I like the look, but don't know where it is going. Should I continue or not? Don't know.
     Then I pulled out pieces for a quilt called Tidal Pool by Marlous Carter. Our guild had her as a guest teacher over a year ago, and the cut squares have been languishing in a bag. I sewed a bunch and put them on the wall. I can cut and sew these without thinking, so for now I am working on this. 
     Trying to work out of the funk. If I was a musician, I would be singing blues, but a quilter, hmm.

8 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with you - the Shoo Fly block doesn't sing to me either - I think the proportions are funky - but your skinny neutral blocks look like fun - and your curvy ones are spectacular! Cut and sew without thinking - we can all use patterns like that - ;))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh yes - keep going with those marvelous circular blocks - they're fabulous. We all hit funks - hope your's isn't too deep and that it doesn't last too long.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The curved blocks are great. It looks like a great mindless sewing session with great results.

Deanna said...

I like the skinny piecing. And I am sorry you are struggling. Sometimes funks can be lifted by cleaning, at least it works for me. Yesterday I tackled one spot in my sewing space (under the table) and it feels much better in there today.

Debbie said...

I am with you on the motivation. Hard to get with the program when you are alone.
I like the skinny strip blocks! Placed vertically they are exciting and stimulating to the eye. And anything goes...works for me :)
The curved piecing is great! Stick with it, and figure out what you want to make it say.

Mystic Quilter said...

I am another with motivation issues but I definitely am an introvert.
Churn Dash - I see where you're coming from the non singing Churn Dash,
skinny trips could be something to work on some more but now
Tidal Pool blocks are super duper - let's see more!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your skinny neutral blocks - I think you should make more and see where they lead you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the onion peel blocks at the bottom. When we lose someone, we need to mourn with others. This Covid thing makes it so much harder.