Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Bright and happy, the quilt that is

      Been dragging my heels to post this because I don't like writing, but like the results. I decided I need to learn some newer techniques and my well used Stripology ruler cracked at the hole they drilled in it to hang. A quilt store a bit away from me was doing curbside service and I was able to get the new Stripology ruler so I could participate in the Quilt a Long by Gudrun
     I had a collection of fat quarters that I had put together because they were all happy bright prints. I decided to put together some fabrics in collections as inspired by Julie. The quilt, Elvira, needed just the amount of fat quarters in the bright stack. 




One of the layout possibilities

     It was fun to follow along although it took me longer than the day of the videos. I made some dumb mistakes, like making more Block A's than Block B's so I was short fabric and had to hunt for a couple more fat quarters. I was able to use the new ruler because I went slowly and did sample cuts before I cut the good fabric. It was an unusual way for me to put together a quilt together.
     It is on my design wall and I like the cheer it broadcasts. I don't know what the backing will be. I will figure out how to quilt it when it gets on the longarm. 
All sewn

     The pattern was free when the quiltalong was first posted, so I saved and if I can find some more interesting fabric, I will make another one. It is a fun construction quilt.

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Definitely cheerful and fun -- thanks for the shout out, too.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Bright and cheerful - such happy colors - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your warm and inviting quilt top!! I'll be looking forward to seeing how you decide to quilt it. That might help me know what to do with my own Elvira (when I finally get around to making it!)

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautifully bright! I was tempted to join in this but of course the time difference made it pretty impossible but I was able to download the pattern when she had for free. Great for using nice chunks of your fabric.

Debbie said...

So cheerful for some dark days! I thought about trying this one, but had enough to keep me busy. Yours turned out great!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is definitely bright and cheerful! I have seen a couple variations of that pattern on blogs and saw one of her videos on YouTube.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

A nice, fun quilt.

Preeti said...

It is impossible to read this post and see all the lovely pictures and not smile. Such a cheerful quilt. Whatever the layout and the quilting pattern, it will be a joyful quilt. Stay safe, Linda.