Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Clean up, clean up, put away, put away

     I reached the point in my studio that I had to clean out or scream. I had so many plastic boxes and bins everywhere and especially on my floor. I had to do something. Michaels had 10 drawer rolling drawers on sale ($29.99 and coupon) and I bought 5 (one I gave to my son for his watercolor supplies). Shipped them to me for free. 
     I have to give Michaels a shout out, because one wheel in all of these units was the wrong one. I emailed them with a photo and within a few hours, they had one in the mail. It fit and the unit was useable. I have to say Excellent Customer Service! I thought I was doomed with the wrong wheel.
     I taught my 8 yr. old granddaughter to put one together. She showed her 10 yr. old brother how to do it, and they put all 5 together for me. They did a super job with little intervention by me. Kids need to know how to put things together.
     It was painful to sort through all the scraps and cut pieces. Sometimes I just have to leave the room and take a walk around. Took loads of time. Eventually, all the units were filled and reorganized. I have a whole unit of drawers for batik scraps. Today, I am making all new drawer labels and attaching them. The old ones are from the previous bins and are shabby.
     I have a closet in this room for more plastic boxes for cut pieces and another room with bookshelves for bigger fabric, but this area was out of contol. I love scrappy, but organizing them is work.
    Here is the result of all the effort.
Cutting/pressing counter- all clear, WOW
View from one side of sewing table to counter
From room entrance, no boxes on floor anymore
Other side of sewing table, clear floor, windows to left
Side of table I work the most at for piecing. There is a floor!
      My watercolor room set up is in the guest bedroom. I work on my paintings and sketches here. I have to leave the sewing studio in order to concentrate on painting.

8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

A clear floor?! What is that like??? You did a great job on the re-org!

Barb said...

Always feels good to clean up our creative spaces. Makes way for new ideas.
I love the look of your little painting studio!

Pat McDonald said...

This looks great, would love to resort my fabric. Maybe one of these days, Miss seeing you, keep on quilting

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats on the clean out/organizing. It is so freeing when you can know where things are, just takes a while to get it done. Jill in Calgary/Phoenix

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yes, it is a lot of work but it is so worth the effort. Kudos for getting the kids to put the carts together!

Deanna said...

Your studio is wonderful! Thank you for the tour.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I need to clean up my sewing room. No room for anything else (like those cute things you got from Michael's).

Mystic Quilter said...

Handy to have the grandchildren to help you, good for them to have practice in DIY which will be useful when they're older.
You're all organised now and have a good long area for cutting and pressing.